We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No Reserve Seats on Train outbound Paris to Le Harve

Which Le Havre hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
2,891 posts
319 reviews
Save Topic
No Reserve Seats on Train outbound Paris to Le Harve

I booked tickets to Le Harve from Paris Saint Lazare but the site would not let me book "seats". On the return this was not a problem - I was offered seats. Looking at other days outbound - no seats could be booked - you could but ticket though. On this outbound route from Paris is that normal? I don't have a problem standing in the bar car for the trip if needed though. Anyone know how this route works?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
14 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No Reserve Seats on Train outbound Paris to Le Harve

I do not have an answer for you. But I have the same problem as yours though in the other direction, i.e. Le Havre to Paris St Lazare. I was allotted seats onward to Le Havre, but not while returning- for the same price.

I had quickly called up a long timer friend and he suggested me to go ahead. I would be allowed to take any seat- he told. However, he added his disclaimer to show this reservation to an SNCF info counter and get clarified.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,229 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No Reserve Seats on Train outbound Paris to Le Harve

Reservations are not compulsory on Intercites trains. If you buy a full-price ticket online, you get a seat reservation. With an online discounted ticket, there is no seat reservaation.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No Reserve Seats on Train outbound Paris to Le Harve

Just get to St Lazare by about 20 minutes before departure and choose where you want to sit. There are far more trains without seat reservations than those on which they are obligatory.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
2,891 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No Reserve Seats on Train outbound Paris to Le Harve

Thank you for the responses. Interesting tho that lazy1970 had the same exp. the opposite way. We are day tripping so have no luggage - and would have just stood at the bar car if necessary. I will check for seating in Le Harve before we board tho as we will have walked all day and a seat on the return would be more comfortable. Sidneynick - they were the early discounted tix: tho we were allowed to reserve seats for the outbound. Seems the Le Harve forum is filled with train questions :).

Paris, France
Level Contributor
14 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No Reserve Seats on Train outbound Paris to Le Harve

Thanks for the replies.

In addition, I also asked the SNCF info-kiosk and he checked my reservation and assured that seat reservation is not necessary. I am paranoiac about seats and only crossing my fingers we can actually sit and get to keep our luggage properly till Paris.

Didn't notice that this is the D-Day Memorial Weekend (arghh, is there anything like that!)

6. Re: No Reserve Seats on Train outbound Paris to Le Harve

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Le Havre