We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris to Le Havre

Louisville, KY USA
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Paris to Le Havre

We are arriving in Paris CDG on April 28 about 9:00 am. We will be going to Le Havre. The best time schedule leaves around 5:00 pm. We would like to leave for Le Havre as early as possible vial train, bus, or ferry. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris to Le Havre

Hi SHRIFK - and welcome to the forums.

I'm afraid your post has me a little puzzled. Are you asking for the best way to get from CDG to Le Havre after 9:00 a.m.? What does 5:00 p.m. have to do with it? And I am also totally baffled by the ferry reference. Are you taking a ferry to Le Havre? If so, from where? Or from Le Havre? Or what?

In any case you can really only get from CDG to Le Havre by train, unless you rent a car. You would have to go into Paris to take a train to Le Havre from Gare St. Lazare. There is a train leaving at 10:51 a.m. and another at 12:40 p.m. Both trains take 2 hours. The first might be a bit early for your CDG arrival by the time you have dealt with airport formalities, collected your baggage and travelled into the city.

Louisville, KY USA
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris to Le Havre

Irish Rover. Thanks for responding. My reference to 5:00pm is that the only direct service I can find leaves Paris at 5:09 and arrives in Le Havre at 7:14pm.. There was nothing earlier other than changing trains en-route which I would like to avoid.

Also if we have the entire day in Paris at the St. Lazare train station are there things to do in the area while waiting? Is there a place to check luggage or store luggage such as a locker in the train statio?

Your reply is greatly appreciated..

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris to Le Havre

Got you.

I'm not sure where you are getting your train info from, but I rather suspect it is somewhere like RailEurope. As usual their information is incomplete and inaccurate. And BTW they overcharge for tickets too, so please do not book your rail travel through them.

You need to go to the SNCF (French rail) site for timetables. I just ran a quick check for you, but you should confirm this info. There is a train leaving at 10:51, as I said, but on Saturdays this train is not direct. You would have to change in Rouen and the entire journey would take ~2.5 hours. Otherwise there are direct trains leaving at 12:40, 13:45, 15:12 and 17:09. All of these trains take 2 hours and some minutes.

You will not be able to find fares for your dates as you can only book tickets up to 90 days ahead. Indeed you may even have to use a false date to get the Saturday timetable. If you look for fares on the first Saturday in March you should get all the info you need. Advance purchase non-refundable "PREMs" tickets will be the least expensive but even fully refundable full-fare tickets will be less expensive than RailEurope.

www.voyages-sncf.com

Check this post by MorganB for details on how to use the SNCF booking engine. It is not always intuitive or user-friendly: http://tinyurl.com/qpdef

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris to Le Havre

BTW, changing trains in Rouen would be no big deal but I suspect the 10:51 departure may be a bit early for you in any case as I said in my first post.

Louisville, KY USA
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris to Le Havre

Again, Irishrover you are quite helpful. After deliberation with my travel agent I decided to book the 5:09pm train to Le Havre which is a direct train. My agent said that he can request an earlier train after he books the 5:09. (I don't understand that). Besides he always books on RailEurope. Anyway I have a couple of questions.

1. Would it be better to get a taxi from CDG to St. Lazare train staion or would taking a train from CDG which would be much cheaper? Or would it be a hassle considering that there are two of us with two pieces of luggage each?(one checked and one carry on)

2. When we arrive at the St. Lazare train station can we check our luggage someplace i.e. in a locker or someplace else?

3. Since we will have all day in Paris before our train to Le Havre at 5:09 are there sites to see, browse etc. within walking distance from the station? Any recommendations? We arrive in Paris about 9:00 am and will have a full day in Paris. We don't want to sit at the train station all day.

Again thanks for your help.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris to Le Havre

>>> Besides he always books on RailEurope. <<<

Of course he does. he wouldn't make a commission if he booked on the actual French rail site where he would get the full timetable. Just FYI the one-way fare to Le Havre is somewhere between 15€ (~$20) for a non-refundable second class ticket to 41€ (~$53) for a fully-refundable first class ticket when booked direct.

>>> 1. Would it be better to get a taxi from CDG to St. Lazare train staion or would taking a train from CDG which would be much cheaper? <<<

A taxi, which will cost you somewhere around 50€ (or a bit more or less depending on traffic flow, etc.) would be by far the easiest option. Just so you know an additional 1€ per piece of luggage after the first will be added to the fare shown on the meter. This is a regulation add-on and not a "rip-off." Although the train (or airport -city bus) options would save you about 30€, St. Lazare is actually an awkward place to get to from CDG by public transport, especially with significant luggage. But there is another problem...

>>> 2. When we arrive at the St. Lazare train station can we check our luggage someplace i.e. in a locker or someplace else? <<<

That's the problem. There are no left luggage facilities of any kind at St. Lazare. The best suggestion I can come up with is that you take a taxi from CDG to Gare du Nord, a fairly short distance from St. Lazare, and leave your luggage in the lockers there. (Incidentally it is quite easy to get from CDG to Gare du Nord by the RER (suburban light rail) system at a cost of 8€10 each. But a taxi wouild be easier and more convenient.) Then when you have seen what you want to see return to Gare du Nord, collect your luggage and take another taxi to St. Lazare, probably no more than a 10-15 minute ride. Be sure to allow yourselves ample time though.

There is really little of interest within walking distance of Gare du Nord. Your best plan would be to look at a Paris guidebook, get some idea where things are and what you might want to try to see in about 4 hours, and then ask for some suggestions on the Paris forum.

You might want to discuss all these options with your TA who is, after all, being paid to arrange this trip for you. He should be able to explain the ins and outs of taking a taxi from CDG versus using the RER, and have access to a map showing the location of the major train stations and the principl sights in Paris, some suggestions as to options for a quick tour of the city such as l'Open Bus or the Batobus, ideas as to which are the best sites to visit with only a few hours to do it, A quick run-down on how to use the métro, etc.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris to Le Havre

I just checked. RailEurope's price for a second class ticket on this route is $64 plus an $18 shipping charge. First class is $80 plus the shipping charge. There is no need to pay these inflated prices. Even if you do not want to go the advance purchase route where you could get a second class ticket for $20 with NO shipping charge, you can simply buy your tickets when you arrive in Paris, in which case you will pay no more than $53 first class and considerably less (probably about $35) for a second class ticket.

Louisville, KY USA
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris to Le Havre

Hello again. According to my TA the cost is $40.00 USD for senior citizen rate for 2nd class and no handling charge. I did check the SNC and could get a savings using the directions for obtaining a ticket you suggested but for the few dollars I'll let my TA earn his keep. He has been a decent advisor on this and other accomodations he has made for us.

I might add that my wife and I are taking a river boat cruise from Le Havre to Paris. We plan on spending about three additional days in Paris on our own post cruise.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris to Le Havre

Cool. All sounds good.

Apparently TA's can get deals from RailEurope that the ordinary public cannot. I'm sorry if I sound like I'm a bit down on RailEurope, but IMO they are price-gougers. Apparently not in this case.

If I can help with anything else please do ask.

Have a great trip!

Manchester
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Paris to Le Havre

My Mother lives in Le Havre and tells me that there will soon be a train to le Havre direct from Paris CDG - has anyone heard this? Does anyone know when it will commence Caggi Manchester