We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please recommend good country/small town hotel in the area

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
152 reviews
Save Topic
Please recommend good country/small town hotel in the area

We are taking my elderly mother back to the UK in the summer and are looking for good hotel out of the bustle of city centres..... recommendations for quaint or grand hotels in a nice setting at a reasonable price.... probably with a restaurant or a good one easily accessible nearby?

Merci bien

Steve

Gouvix, France
Level Contributor
546 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please recommend good country/small town hotel in the area

Not meaning to be blunt, but why don't you just look at the listings for Rouen - the whole website is providing hotel / b&b recommendations via the thousands of reviews that are posted.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,839 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please recommend good country/small town hotel in the area

You posted in the Rouen forum so I'm assuming you're looking for a hotel in a small town or village not far from Rouen, is that correct? Will you have a car?

Edited: 07 May 2014, 18:03
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please recommend good country/small town hotel in the area

Hillaire ( are you the person who used to know SLB?)

I have gone through the trip advisor ones and there is a heavy emphasis on Rouen central. I am hoping someone will know something specific for our needs.

Thanks

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please recommend good country/small town hotel in the area

French_Mystique

yes that is correct... but we don't need to go into Rouen.... and we will have a car.... driving north from our house in Limousin....

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,839 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please recommend good country/small town hotel in the area

I have no hotel recs but central Rouen is the opposite of your request for a country/small town hotel. At any rate, as suggested earlier check the Rouen tourist office website and you'll find most, if not all, of the hotels in the city listed there as well as everything else you might need to know to plan your visit there:

www.rouentourisme.com/Default.aspx…

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,839 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please recommend good country/small town hotel in the area

Ah, we were posting at the same time. So you are looking for a small town not far from Rouen. I'll assume you have a car. I haven't stayed at any hotels in the area but I know some nice small towns and one that I would recommend is Le Petit Andely. It is a charming little medieval village on the bans of the Seine. On a high cliff above the village is the ruin of Richard the Lionheart's fortress, Château Gaillard. You wouldn't be far from Giverny if you stayed here so that's a visit you could do.

Here is the tourist office website for Le Petit Andely:

lesandelys-tourisme.fr/en/…

One hotel in Le Petit Andely that I've seen many people recommend is La Chaîne d'Or.

One thing you should know is that Le Petit Andely is the smaller part of twin villages that combined are known as Les Andelys. The other part of the village is called Le Grand Andely, which is further from the river. It's nice as well but Le Petit Andely is more charming.

You could also consider basing in Giverny as well:

www.cape-tourisme.fr/english/index.html

Or La Roche-Guyon:

valdoise-tourisme.com/fr/…roche-guyon.php

Or Lyon-la-Forêt:

http://www.paysdelyons.com/

Or Vieux Port:

normandie-accueil.fr/…88.html

Edited: 07 May 2014, 18:55
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please recommend good country/small town hotel in the area

Thanks

Your advice looks very helpful... I will look through this evening

Steve

Edited: 07 May 2014, 18:58
8. Re: Please recommend good country/small town hotel in the area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2015, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Rouen