We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rouen via Giverny from Paris

Palm Beach Gardens...
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
Rouen via Giverny from Paris

I am hoping to combine the two in one day from Paris. (by train) Early Sept midweek.

Wondering if I am better off starting in Vernon to avoid tourist buses then taking the train to Rouen? Would leave for Rouen on the 1pm (approx.) train.

Thinking I could stay there long enough to see the Cathedral light show before returning to Paris.

Would like opinions as to whether or not I am planning too much for a single day? It would be midweek and I have no time constraints.

Should I purchase tickets in advance online? Can I buy them at any station on the METRO in Paris?

Opinions and options welcome

Essex
Level Contributor
28,831 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rouen via Giverny from Paris

The Metro does not extend beyond Paris.

The trains you need are a different system entirely, you can try buying those tickets at a Metro Station, perhaps, but, um, good luck with that!

You can't AFAIAA, break a train journey, so you will need one ticket for Paris to Vernon, another for Vernon to Rouen and a third from Rouen back to Paris.

Timetables can be found on-line, to see if your proposed day is feasable, but IIWY I'd stay in Rouen overnight and enjoy some of the other delights of that city....

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
89,020 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rouen via Giverny from Paris

Buy your tickets at any mainline train station or an SNCF boutique shop. You cannot buy them at metro stations.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,034 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rouen via Giverny from Paris

Buy your Rouen tickets in advance online on the scnf website and save a bundle. By buying in advance, we are paying just over 1/3 of the normal price. The tickets will come by email and just print them out and give to the train attendant once onboard. You will be give specific assigned seats.

Edited: 09 August 2014, 01:28
Palm Beach Gardens...
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rouen via Giverny from Paris

The problem with this is that the SCNF site is in French and I have had difficulty figuring out the payment process.

Also, having been to Paris 5 times now, I have learned that the weather can be variable from torrential rain to beautiful in Sept. I'm not sure I want to commit to a specific day. It may be worthwhile to know the weather just a day or two in advance.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
89,020 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rouen via Giverny from Paris

Buy in English from www.capitainetrain.com which has the same prices as SNCF but is much easier to use.

Bellflower...
Level Contributor
5,309 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rouen via Giverny from Paris

Bonjour, Nancy,

I believe that you are talking about the sound and light show at the Rouen Cathedral. Are you aware that it will begin at 9:30 p.m.?

www.rouentourisme.com/Default.aspx?tabid=3435

I wish that I had known about this when we were in Rouen a few years ago. A spectacular video on Youtube shows a duration of 12 minutes, so you would have time to return to Paris that night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrc1fTEskoA

To schedule a train online, I recommend Capitaine:

https://www.capitainetrain.com/search/

I hope that you will post a photo journal on your return. As a result of your pictures, we're going to the Albert Kahn gardens in September.

MrsJAS

Edited: 09 August 2014, 02:15
Palm Beach Gardens...
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rouen via Giverny from Paris

I have decided to stay overnight in Rouen after the cathedral show at 9:30. It's actually approx. 45 minutes according to some TA members' private messages. I'm not a fan of traveling back to Paris late at night alone on the train (and then having to connect to 2 Metros to my apartment). Better for me to get up fresh in the morning, wander a little and then head back to Paris midday.

I did manage to get tickets online on the Rail Europe site for only 8 USD more than the SCNF cost. SCNF couldn't process my credit card because I didn't notify the CC company to accept the charge, apparently............

And I WILL post photos after this visit, MrandMrsJAS. You will love the Albert Kahn. I'm in Budapest before Paris, for a first time visit and I'd be happy to bore you with photos from that city as well!!

Thanks everyone.

8. Re: Rouen via Giverny from Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Rouen
Recent Conversations