We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train station

new jersey
Level Contributor
346 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
train station

is there luggage storage at the train station?

i will be traveling from tours to caen and i can either take an earlier train that makes a stop in le mans or a direct train to caen later in the day. my question is: is it worth the stop in le mans or just go straight to caen.

thank you.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,060 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train station

The SNCF station information site - www.gares-en-mouvement.com - does not list baggage storage at Le Mans.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train station

Le Mans is very much worth a stop if you can finesse the luggage issue. Perhaps try googling the Office de Tourisme at Le Mans and sending them an email?

Alencon, France
Level Contributor
476 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train station

As a resident I know Le Mans station. The new station is superb, with excellent connections to the new urban tramway system and with bicycle hire, too.

At present there is no left luggage facility at train stations in France as part of the security measures under "Plan Vigipirate"

www.infolignes.com/article.php3…

This is to prevent the possibility of terrorists planting bombs in left luggage facilities.

Similar measures are in force in other European countries.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train station

Basse_Cour -

When were the luggage facilities closed? Is this a consequence of some recent increase in security levels under the Vigipirate program?

I know that all the luggage facilities were closed in the wake of earlier terrorist attacks. However, many of them were re-opened either with luggage lockers (consignes automatiques) or staffed luggage offices (consignes manuelles) with luggage scanning as added security.. Most of the mainline Paris stations have one or both and the site sydneynick posted, which is regularly updated, has information about the others. I know there are facilities at Dijon, Avignon Centre and Marseilles St. Charles because I have used them myself within the last couple of years. The facilities at Paris Nord were operating as recently as January.

If you have information that all the luggage facilities have been closed in recent weeks can you post a link to the announcement?

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train station

I think you are both right. After the Paris bombings the left luggage locers that had previously existed at even te smallest stations were closed. Left luggage facilties are now provded at a comparatively small number of the major stations such as the ones that Irish Rover mentions.

Alencon, France
Level Contributor
476 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train station

IR:

I emailed the train station and got the information directly from them today. The left luggage facilities at Alençon are closed indefinitely for the same reason.

Edited: 13 March 2010, 16:29
Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: train station

B_C:

I am not suggesting that you are wrong about Le Mans. Both sydneynick and I clearly understand that there are no luggage facilities at Le Mans and I don't doubt that you are correct about Alençon also. It is this statement of yours that is the issue: "At present there is no left luggage facility at train stations in France..." As a general statement that is incorrect unless you have information more recent than January, when, as I said, the luggage facilities at Paris Nord (and I assume the other stations where such facilities exist) were operating normally.

Alencon, France
Level Contributor
476 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: train station

Here is a recent (last 6 month) question posed on SNCF website on this subject, the reason for lack of left luggage facilities at all stations (except a very few equipped with detectors) is as I have stated. ETA is considered a very real terrorist threat and police operations against suspected ETA members in France are quite a regular occurence.

Alencon, France
Level Contributor
476 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: train station

I've asked for SNCF to give a list of the (few) stations where there are scanners. If I get a reply then I'll let you know.

Edited: 13 March 2010, 18:18
Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: train station

Thanks.