We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much time in Le Mans?

Finland
Level Contributor
213 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
How much time in Le Mans?

We are going to Paris in July and have decided to spend one night in Le Mans. We want to see the car museum, the racing tracks, the old town, the cathedral and the sound and light show http://www.nuitdeschimeres.com/en .

I have understood that it is cheaper to book train tickets three months ahead, but would like to hear your opinion on how much time we will need for this trip. For day one I think it would be best to leave Paris before midday (without any very ambitious plans for the morning) and see the old town and the cathedral, have dinner somewhere nice (suggestions?) and of course see the sound and light show.

This will probably be our only visit, is there something more we really ought to see?

Day two we will go to the car museum and the racing tracks, but I find it very hard to estimate how much time we will spend there. We are definitely more interested in old cars than in racing history, so I dont think we will spend a lot of time in that part of the museum. Provided we will be at the car museum as soon as it opens in the morning, for what time do you think I should plan the return trip to Paris?

Is it an option not to book any return tickets and just go to the train station when we are finished or will we risk being stranded in Le Mans?

Alencon, France
Level Contributor
476 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much time in Le Mans?

What you're proposing to see just about covers off the main sites in Le Mans itself. There are loads of places to see in the surrounding area but you would need a car and more time, so stick with your plan. I can't tell you about train tickets as I never use the trains.

Phil

Finland
Level Contributor
213 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much time in Le Mans?

Thank you, Phil.

I also posted my questions on the Paris forum and got some good advice there. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k42219…

Looking forward to our trip to Le Mans!

Alencon, France
Level Contributor
476 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much time in Le Mans?

Good - have a great time. You will love the evening son et lumière - it is truly spectacular. You'll find some articles on Le Mans in English here:

visitnormandy.wordpress.com/tag/le-mans/

Including an article on the "Nuit des Chimères" last summer (ignore the winter one - that was the shortened version). The theme changes so as to keep it interesting and people come back to see it year after year.

The details for this year have not been announced but I'm keeping an eye out on the FB page facebook.com/pages/…136275343068423 for news. My FB friend Josselin Tressolin, at Sarthe Tourism, will also be announcing as soon as details are released http://www.facebook.com/tourismesarthe .

The Le Mans 24 Museum is right next to the racetrack - if you are lucky enough to be there during the Tour de France then there is a stage starting there on July 8th (see details on the blog). The museum had a complete refurbishment in winter 2009-10 and is wonderful now - before it was a bit ramshackle, to be honest!

The cathedral St Julien is superb, often compared to Chartres and Reims. has been undergoing extensive renovations to combat erosion in recent years and has been shrouded in scaffolding for but work on most of the exterior was complete on my last visit (we live not far away). Only the east (and least interesting/visible) façade still had work going on.

Have a great time.

Phil

Edited: 04 March 2011, 09:06
4. Re: How much time in Le Mans?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 December 2013, 10:15