We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay in the loire valley?

yorkshire
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
where to stay in the loire valley?

Can anyone help? We are trying to find somewhere romantic for our 1st wedding anniversary in the loire valley during August. We have a car but would like to be within walking distance of restuarants etc. Any ideas would be really appreciated!

UK
Level Contributor
2,879 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay in the loire valley?

Have a look at these websites - you may find them useful:

www.sawdays.co.uk/maps/browsemap/france/04h/

www.karenbrown.com/proplist.asp…

Tours, France
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay in the loire valley?

If you want to be within easy walking distance of restaurants etc it means you want to stay in a reasonable size town.

Towns that spring to mind in the Loire Valley are:

Blois, Amboise, Tours, Chinon.

You can do a search in previous postings to this forum to find out a bit more information about each. Obviously everyone has their own definition of what constitutes a romantic or special place. My choice would be Amboise, although it will be crowded in August (but then that must mean people like it). You will see other postings recommending other towns, you need to evaluate them against your requirements.

yorkshire
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay in the loire valley?

Amboise sounds lovely - can anyone recommend anywhere nice to stay? We are not too concerned about the price (within reason!). A hotel or b &b would be good. Thank you!

Blackburn England
Level Contributor
267 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay in the loire valley?

Near to Amboise I can recommend La Roseaie in Chenonceaux.

http://www.charmingroseraie.com/

It virtually backs on to the Chateau - just a short stroll.

Run by lovely people & great food.

Check out the excellent reviews on Trip Advisor.

Neal

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,985 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay in the loire valley?

In Amboise you will struggle to find a really good restaurant - it's more of a tourist trap then the Authentic French Experience.

The actual Loire itself isnt terribly picturesque, either - a big wide sandy river with embankments on either side. I would recommend looking at places on the Cher (about 15 - 20 minutes south) like Chisseaux, Chenonceau or Montrichard. The Cher is a smaller river, with tree covered banks - and the more "pretty" chateaux.

Blois, France
Destination Expert
for Blois
Level Contributor
799 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay in the loire valley?

If you decide on Amboise, I can recommend the Le Vieux Manoir Bed and Breakfast-

http://www.le-vieux-manoir.com/index.htm

:-)

Virginia
Level Contributor
185 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to stay in the loire valley?

While it is not within walking distance of retaurants, the Chateau des Ormeaux is simply wonderful; check out its reviews on TA and look its website: www.chateaudesormeaux.com. It would make a wonderful first-anniversary location; it's less than 10 minutes by car from Amboise and within comfortable driving distance to most of the wonderful chateaux in this area.

Fresno, CA
Destination Expert
for Fresno
Level Contributor
1,626 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to stay in the loire valley?

Just got back from Amboise area. I would suggest driving to dine. Stay in a romantic b and b and drive. Nothing is that far. We stayed in a gite at Moulin de Bacchus. They have a b and b and is airconditioned (they own an air conditioning company.) They have a covered pool, and the owners are very delightful. It has a stream with large ponds. The owner is very helpful with dining and other suggestions. I don't know the rates, but it was a delightful place. Another place to check out is Auberge L'Aubiniere near Ambroise. www.aubiniere.com. We ate in their restaurant which was fantastic and is a relais du silence, so it should be peaceful. Beautiful place.

Tours, France
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where to stay in the loire valley?

muffya

Are you planning on doing a review of your trip, where you went, ate etc? I would love to see one.

Fresno, CA
Destination Expert
for Fresno
Level Contributor
1,626 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: where to stay in the loire valley?

I'm planning on it! Just trying to unpack and get over jetlag!