We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Loire July 14-17 - will I melt with no air conditioning?

Summit, New Jersey
Level Contributor
17 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Loire July 14-17 - will I melt with no air conditioning?

Tell me the truth.... how bad is it with no air conditioning? Am I going to melt?

(I am staying at a chateau outside of Amboise and getting nervous about no a/c!!)

Any info is greatly appreciated :)

Harrogate
Level Contributor
9 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Loire July 14-17 - will I melt with no air conditioning?

I think it depends on how well you normally cope with the heat. My husband can't stand any holiday without a/c (even in September) whereas i don't mind a bit.

There's no doubt that it can be a bit stifling in July but as your staying in a chateau i would imagine that thick stone walls will keep it cooler.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,641 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Loire July 14-17 - will I melt with no air conditioning?

We will be in the area (further East - Blois area) from the 12-17th July.

I'm interested too.

So far, however this year, you are more likely to suffer from wrinkledy skin because of excess rain, rather than heat exhaustion if what I'm told is to be believed....

Fresno, CA
Destination Expert
for Fresno
Level Contributor
1,628 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Loire July 14-17 - will I melt with no air conditioning?

In the Vouvray area, in Chancay, there's a chambre de Hotel that has AC called Moudin de Bacchus. The owners of the place also own an air conditioning/heating company! The gite we stayed in there has a/c on the second floor bedrooms.

If its hot, hopefully you will have a pool. Last year we were there the first week of July and froze! I never took off my sweater.

Tours, France
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Loire July 14-17 - will I melt with no air conditioning?

Most of the old houses, and especially the chateaux, in the Loire Valley are built with the local tuffeau stone, and the walls are very thick. For example our house has walls 60 cm thick. This keeps the buildings cool in the summer. Today the outside temperature was 27°C, but inside our house it was 21°C

Blois, France
Level Contributor
799 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Loire July 14-17 - will I melt with no air conditioning?

beanalainn, 30°C and glorious sunshine today in Blois but who knows what it will be like in a months time...

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,208 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Loire July 14-17 - will I melt with no air conditioning?

No one can give you a definate answer, I was in Paris last august and froze, almost 9 whole days of rainy or cool cloudy weather, I have also spent serveral july and august vacations in Paris and roasted in 90 degree plus weather,,

I do think a Chateaus thick stone walls will help keep heat reasonalbe.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
692 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Loire July 14-17 - will I melt with no air conditioning?

We have stayed at Chateau de Prey outside of Amboise in July with no a/c. The ceiling were very high with large windows that we opened. There were also fans available. I recall sleeping with no trouble. You will love Amboise. Have a great trip.

Summit, New Jersey
Level Contributor
17 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Loire July 14-17 - will I melt with no air conditioning?

Thanks for all of the info. We will be staying at the Chateau des Ormeaux. Does anyone have any info regarding that particular location? I'm very excited for our trip :)

9. Re: Loire July 14-17 - will I melt with no air conditioning?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 05:26
Get answers to your questions about Loire Valley