We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cycling/Loire a velo

London
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cycling/Loire a velo

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can advise as to whether the Loire a Velo path is complete yet? I understand that there is a gap between Tours & south of Blois - is this still the case?

If anyone has advice on cycling in this area I would also be most appreciative of any tips/suggestions for routes, scenic highlights etc when on a bike!

Thanks for any help offered!

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,904 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cycling/Loire a velo

I havent cycled it myself (I would have to put the bike in the car to get there), but I believe it is now complete. Certainly that is the way the website shows it, and all the literature I have picked up in Tours seems to confirm this (of course, it's hard to say, quite often the brochures are printed up only once, and can include furthr developments as already being in place)

Even if the trail peters out, dont get in a fret - the French drivers are a lot more aware of cyclists than UK drivers, and will wait behind you (for a while, anyway) and then give a wide berth when overtaking.

My Highlight would be cycling the south bank of the Cher river on the stretch around Chenonceaux. I have seen people on there and been jealous.

Simon

http://daysontheclaise.blogspot.com/

Le Grand Pressigny...
Level Contributor
156 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cycling/Loire a velo

Check out Loire Valley Breaks, they could help I am sure.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
333 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cycling/Loire a velo

Hi,

Sorry if this is a bit late to reply. We cycled some of it last summer but it still wasn't completed. Contacting the Blois or Tours tourist office may help. But a word or warning - we didn't do too much of it as we had our 3 year old with us on the back of the bike, but speaking to obviously experienced cyclists in the car park when we were leaving they told us that parts of the path - although supposed to be the cycle path - couldn't be ridden, you had to carry the bike up steps etc. May not be something that would bother you but may be worth asking about if it is. However,that was west of Tours so may not be the same everywhere. That said, the short bits we did we great, good, well signposted paths, and good maps available if you contact the tourist office. I got the impression it was something they are really trying to promote so if you contact them I'm sure they would be very helpful.

If the path isn't complete I wouldn't be put off by that, most French minor roads are great for cycling on, unless you are in a really built up area there isn't too much traffic and they usually give cyclists a wide berth!

Hope you enjoy your holiday

Alison

4. Re: Cycling/Loire a velo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 21:22