We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rental car drop off Sunday

ghjt
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
rental car drop off Sunday

We are in the Loire Valley for several days and plan of renting a car. We want to take the train into Paris on the Sunday morning. We would like to drop off the car rental preferably in Amboise or Blois or somewhere where we can take a train to Paris. Amboise would be our first choice as it is smaller. I am having difficulty finding a car rental company that is open on Sunday. Any suggestion?

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,418 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rental car drop off Sunday

Take the car to Paris and drop it off at Orly which is located next to A6. As long as you do this in the morning, there will be no traffic concerns.

From Orly you can take Orlyval into the city or one of the AF Buses.

Trying to drop off the car in Amboise on a Sunday morning is not a sound strategy. It is doubtful you'll find any open rental offices and there are no fast trains from Amboise, only the old TERs into Gare Austerlitz. Blois while a bit bigger will be much the same as choosing Amboise.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rental car drop off Sunday

There was a similar question asked recently about car hire on a Sunday in the Calais area.

None of the major car hire companies seem to open on a Sunday and I think you'll be very lucky to find any rental company to help you out.

Virtually all companies say 'Closed at drop off time'

ghjt
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rental car drop off Sunday

Dropping off the car at Orly sounds like a good idea as long as my husband is okay with this as he is driving. We want to make the most of our time and not spend a lot of extra time in train stations, etc if we can avoid it. I'm assuming that it would be Orly South.

-- Lynda

Tours, France
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rental car drop off Sunday

I doubt that you will find any car rental agencies open on a Sunday. However, I have hired a car at Tours station meny years ago, before I moved to the area, and I did return it on a Sunday. The agency was unmanned, but there was a box where you posted the car keys after you parked it in their secure parking area. From Tours, you could then take a TGV to Montparnasse in Paris.

I just tried booking a car with Avis France on their site, stipulating a return on a Sunday, and it did not reject my dates. It let me get as far as asking for my credit card details, at which point I quit the site.

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,990 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rental car drop off Sunday

Most agencies have a box to drop the keys into. You're going to have a problem with Amboise because it's a small town with only one car rental agency and that is at least half an hours walk from the station.

Far better to drive to St Pierre des Corps and drop the car off there. You will also find that the train fare is a lot cheaper if you book early

Simon

http://daysontheclaise.blogspot.com/

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,418 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rental car drop off Sunday

True much cheaper TGV rates are available if one books early. However, the TGV Loisir rates from St. Pierre des Corps (about 55 euros each) are double or more than double the walk up rates on the Corail trains from Amboise or Blois (20 to 25 euros).

By the time you back track into St. Pierre des Corps and wait for the next train, you could be almost half way to Orly.

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,990 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rental car drop off Sunday

I'm getting:

12h17 - ST PIERRE DES CORPS

13h20 - PARIS MONTPARNASSE 1 ET 2

TGV

08322 2e classe Durée 01h03

17.00 € TGV Prem's : Billet non échangeable et non remboursable.

26.00 € TGV Loisir : Billet échangeable et remboursable avec retenue avant départ et non échangeable et non remboursable après départ.

43.00 € TGV PRO 2nde : Billet échangeable et remboursable sans retenue avant départ et avec retenue après départ.

For the first weekend in August

ghjt
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: rental car drop off Sunday

Thank you for all the suggestions. I have done lots of looking at the different car rental companies. It looks like it is doable. Most places it is after hours. The exception is Orly and probably St. Pierre des Corps. It seems dependant on the rental company as well. When it is after hours, it looks like they want full payment at the time of the booking.

My other question- are there some car rental companies that are preferable? -- Lynda

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,418 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: rental car drop off Sunday

Wiz, unfortunately the OP does not give us much to go on as far as the desired date of travel. I checked through June, of course later than June will have more PREM choices.

I wish posters were required to include the date with their travel questions as answers vary greatly depending upon when they travel.

10. Re: rental car drop off Sunday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 December 2009, 06:19