We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tourevasion?

KCH
Sydney
Level Contributor
890 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Tourevasion?

Hi TAs.

I would like to visit the Loire Valley Chateaux either in one or two days. Being unable to drive I am looking for a good tour. As far as I can tell, I can either do a tour from Paris such as this one

…conciergerie.com/tour/loire_valley_chateau.…

Or alternatively go with a Tourevasion Full Day Tour (#5 is what I am thinking).

http://www.tourevasion.com/prog_en.htm

The second one seems to be a lot cheaper. A couple of questions:

Does any one know anything other options?

Has anyone had any experience with Tourevasion?

Are the places likely to be booked out soon for mid-August?

Many thanks for you kind answers in advance.

Regards

Kevin

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,933 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tourevasion?

All much of a muchness - in my opinion they all try to do too much.

The tours from Paris mean spending a lot of time on the autoroute in a bus, the ones starting in Tours mean you have to get your act together and book the right train etc.

loire-valley-tours.com/en/tours/day-tours/1,… are another company who do tours of the area.

I doubt if the English speaking tours will be booked out, but I would book early just in case.

Simon

http://daysontheclaise.blogspot.com

KCH
Sydney
Level Contributor
890 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tourevasion?

Thanks for the reply.

After giving it a bit more thought. I agree with you - 9 hours minus lunch break and travel time spread over 4 Chateaux is not going to leave much time for each. It's pretty much a stroll in the garden and the main rooms and that's it. But if you don't drive, tours seem to be the only viable option.

I heard that Chenonceau is reachable by train on your own. Is that true? The others aren't.

If so, I am thinking a better alternative would be to train in from Paris to Tours in the evening. Spend night in Tours. Then do a #7 tourevasion tour. i.e.

AZAY-LE-RIDEAU (visit) - VILLANDRY (visit) - Lunch in Tours

Amboise(view) - Chaumont/Loire(view) - Blois (view)

CHAMBORD (visit) - CHEVERNY (visit)

Then another night in Tours. Followed by Chenonceau which I can get there myself. And then return to Paris in the afternoon/evening.

That way aligning the trains would not be that hard. And I get to see at least one Chateaux in details.

Once again thanks for the advice.

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,933 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tourevasion?

Chenonceaux is a piece of p* by train. Montparnasse, St Pierre des Corps (or Tours) - Chenonceaux. Use reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin//query.exe/en for planning.

In August you can get to all the chateaux you mention by train and/or bus. I would try:

Train from Paris - Blois. Blois - Chambord - Cheverny and back to Blois by bus, Overnight Blois

Next day train Blois - Tours, then Cenonceauc AM, bus to Amboise, back to Tours, bus to Villandy/ Azay le Rideau, Overnight Tours, return Paris.

There is a new company starting out to do this sort of thing as a custom tour. Compared to the other companies who do custom tours it's quite inexpensive, but understandably quite a bit moreexpensive than minibus tours

Simon

http://daysontheclaise.blogspot.com/

Tours, France
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tourevasion?

KCH

I think your new plan sounds much better, and spending the night before the tour in Tours gives you more time in the morning, plus the chance to explore Tours.

KCH
Sydney
Level Contributor
890 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tourevasion?

Thanks for all your suggestions!

WizardofAus, yeah I had a look at the lonely planet book and it's possible to get to all of them. But I thinking it would be hard for me to execute! Just a bit worried that I would miss a train and lost an hour here or there waiting etc. Some seems to be a fair hike from the station as well.

49 EUR seems quite reasonble in comparison. I like their no-frills approach. No wine tasting etc that adds to the cost.

SunloverFrance, I hadn't thought of that! I have to look into what's to see in Tours! Was so obssessed with seeing the chateaux!

6. Re: Tourevasion?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 December 2009, 05:18