We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around in the Loire Valley

Toronto, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Getting around in the Loire Valley

I am flying into Tours in 3 weeks. I would like to travel around the Loire Valley, St. Emillion and other interesting places in the area. Can I do this by bus or train? Is it best to rent a car? I am trying to do this as cheap as possble as I am "escaping" from home after just losing my job. Vineyards and Castles are what I want to see.

Chateau de Villandry
Castles, Gardens, Historic Sites
Chateau de Chambord
Historic Sites, Castles, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Chateau d'Amboise
Castles, Historic Sites, History Museums, Gardens
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
24,056 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around in the Loire Valley

Having a car gives you the most flexibility. A few castles you can access by train, most you cannot. Car rental for 3 days or more gives you a much better daily rate.

Loir Valley
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around in the Loire Valley

I would agree that a car is the best option. Buses are very few and far between. Trains are great for longer distances. With a car you not only get the flexibility but also get to see other things on the way.

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
410 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting around in the Loire Valley

Ditto renting a car. Go through Hertz and you can get a great rate. We got ours for about $39/day with free mileage.

Paris
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting around in the Loire Valley

Another vote for car.

france
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting around in the Loire Valley

Yes I agree that renting a car is the best option. Hertz has not very expensive prices.

I saw in plusdetouraine.com, you have 1000 B&B and hotels which have 50% of reduction for the 2 next weeks. It could be interest someone and that's why I mention this here.