We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Halfway stop between Calais and Loire

London
Level Contributor
81 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Halfway stop between Calais and Loire

We're going to La Roultiere August, which is just outside Breil.

We'll be travelling via Eurotunnel, Folkestone-Calais and as the journey from Calais to Loire will be around 5 hours, we'd quite like to break the journey halfway-ish and stay somewhere reasonably interesting with things to do/see which has a decent hotel.

Can anybody help with recommendations? Thanks.

Essex
Level Contributor
29,117 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Halfway stop between Calais and Loire

Briel is to the west of Tours, which means that your most direct driving route from Calais will mean going to the west of Paris.

Potential stops for you on this route include:

Rouen

Le Mans

Versailles

Chartres

If you want to drive a little bit further afield you might like:

Honfleur, which is very attractive place indeed.

London
Level Contributor
81 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Halfway stop between Calais and Loire

Thanks EW. Looking at Honfleur now, do you have any hotel recommendations at all?

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,995 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Halfway stop between Calais and Loire

Calais to the Loire Valley is only 5 hours - hardly enough time to get started on the road, let alone leave it trying to find somewhere to stay!

Your options (assuming you take a sensible route and avoid Paris and environs) gives you a choice of Rouen (about 2 hours from Calais) Le Mans (about 3 1/2 hours from Calais) and Tours (in the Loire Valley and almost at your destination anyway).

Honfleur is a Pretty town, but not a town noted for its hotels. Going to Honfleur for your stopover could add a couple of hours to the trip, especially in August. The reason is that to get to Honfleur you have to travel on a road originating in Paris - which is likely to be extremely busy. The A28 (your most logical route) gets nowhere near as busy, as for most of your trip it leads neitehr to nor from Paris. As an Example - the 20 miles through and around Rouen will take you the best part of 45 minutes, simply because you have to do 10km on the A12, a road that starts in Paris.

I used to drive this route a lot. (with an extra hour added on the Tours end) Usually I did it non-stop - except for the traffic jams around Rouen.

Edited: 10 January 2010, 22:17
London
Level Contributor
81 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Halfway stop between Calais and Loire

I would agree, were it not for the fact that we're travelling with our two young daughters, aged 5 and 2. We are regular visitors to Cornwall (from London where we live) and know that this amount of time in the car is not conducive to a stress-free journey! These days we break our journey to Cornwall half-way as 7 hours stuck is a car just isn't fun for anyone.

And whilst Calais to Loire may only be 5 hours, we'll have travelled just over an hour to Folkstone, then the crossing then the further drive to Loire. If it were just myself and my husband I wouldn't hesitate to do it straight through.

I must agree on your remark re. Honfleur hotels, we've been searching since I posted my first reply and there's nothing that appeals, at all.

Essex
Level Contributor
29,117 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Halfway stop between Calais and Loire

Wiz - I did point out that Honfleur was a bit 'out of the way' if you read my original post - but it is true that I did not go into heaps of detail over the pro's & con's of driving there like you did, I just wanted to give the OP some alternatives.....

Princessgirl, the last time I went to Honfleur I stayed at the Etap Hotel, which, although a 'budget' chain type hotel without the quaint character of other Honfleur Hostelries, is clean and centrally positioned, being only a short walk from the Old Harbour and all the interesting sights of Honfleur. Look at the TA Honfleur pages for other hotel options & read the reviews, always worth doing. The Etap does have some parking issues - but you can park across the road in the massive municipal car park so it is not really that bad!!

I hope you have a good, and interesting time, wherever you choose to go, regards

EW

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
2,419 posts
676 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Halfway stop between Calais and Loire

Honfleur, Honfleur!!

We stayed there in late October, the town was essentially one of the stand-out experiences of a 5.600km driving trip through western Europe, BEAUTIFUL!

Great restaurants and a great hotel (www.hotel-monet-honfleur.com) I can't recommend this establishment highly enough. See reviews @

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187189-d952486… (must book ahead as TA users book this place way in advance. We booked for 2 nights and fortunately were able to stay an additional night)

Briefly this hotel is situated to enable you to drive right up the the door of your room. What we would describe in Australia as a "motel ". You can walk to the harbour (10 mins) and all the restaurants.

Honfleur is on our short list of places that we MUST return to!

( I think that might get the impression that we liked it)

Alan

Edited: 11 January 2010, 01:15
7. Re: Halfway stop between Calais and Loire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2010, 06:19