We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to take a 1-2 day trip close by?

Northern CA
Level Contributor
79 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
where to take a 1-2 day trip close by?

We are 2 couples heading to Loire Valley from the Normandy area for 4 days in July before heading to Paris. 4 days might just be too many in Loire region so we are looking for a place to head to on the way to Paris. Any ideas? I am a professional photographer so picturesque would be ideal, traveling with food & Wine lovers.

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,992 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to take a 1-2 day trip close by?

I am interested to see you say 4 days may be too many - just the other day in here there were people saying less than 4 days wasn't enough! To my way of thinking, any time you spend here is time well spent.

For picturesque, it's difficult to beat the river valleys - the Vienne, Cher and Creuse, along with their tributaries the Claise, Gartempe and the Indre. We are taking about a thousand photos a month (admittedly not all of countryside), and are always finding something new to point the camera at. We are constantly finding "new" chateaux peched above rivers.

The great thing is that for your friends, there are plenty of food producers around, too - cheese and wine are the famous ones, but we are always finding others - fish, meat, and smallgoods are all made in an around the area.

Simon

http://daysontheclaise.blogspot.com/

Bourgueil, France
Level Contributor
15 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to take a 1-2 day trip close by?

I quite agree with Wizard of Aus that 4 days is by no means too much - we have guests staying with us for a week who come back again the following year to see all the places they didn't have time for the first week!

As for picturesque - everywhere you turn (almost!) there is something great to photograph. We had guests from Romania last May and Paul took 600 photos each day he was with us! As well as the rivers and countryside, there are of course all the wonderful chateaux, historic villages and towns, the colour from local markets, vineyards.....

Talking of vineyards, your gourmet friends will be spoilt with the choice of red, white, rose, still and sparkling wines on offer all along the Loire Valley as well as great local produce and amazing cuisine of all levels (high class gourmet to home-cooked 'menus ouvriers') using the fresh produce - the Loire Valley is rightly known as the garden of France.

Enjoy!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,958 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to take a 1-2 day trip close by?

If you run out of things to take photos of, and things to do, and wonderful things to eat in the Loire Valley in four days, there is absolutely no hope for you.

Four days is merely an appetizer. You'll wish you had more.

Cumeray a Gennes
Level Contributor
39 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to take a 1-2 day trip close by?

4 days is certainly not too much in the Loire. You can spend a day doing a couple of chateaux, at least a couple of days exploring the wine regions (if you need help on this please ask) and spend some time around the river itself. It is a beautiful, varied area, perfect for photography, food and wine.

Australia
Level Contributor
612 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to take a 1-2 day trip close by?

I enjoyed taking many photos (amateur) of the garden festival at Chaumont . There were lots of interesting designs with elements other than plants eg mirrors, plastic globes, fabric.

I found the troglyodytic places very interesting.

I agree there is plenty for 4 days.

I spent a week last year and a week the year before.THere are still things to see.

England
Level Contributor
702 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to take a 1-2 day trip close by?

You can easily spend 4 days in the Loire, but if your time in France is limited, I suppose there is also the nagging doubt that you are missing something else.

If you are heading towards Paris anyway, the catherdral at Chartres is a good photographic stop, with intricate asymetrical spires and the stunning "Chartres Blue" glass windows.

Why not then head on to Versailles for an overnight stay? This enables you to get to the gardens late/early when the sun is low in the sky and there are fewer tourists in shot.

7. Re: where to take a 1-2 day trip close by?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Loire Valley