We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best base in Loire Valley

Schenectady
Level Contributor
107 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Best base in Loire Valley

Will be spending three nights in Loire Valley. Would love to stay in a Chateaux w/restaurant. Any suggestions or recommendations for best base or accomodations?

Saumur
Level Contributor
237 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best base in Loire Valley

We stayed at Le Prieuré, near Saumur for our 25th wedding anniversary. We weren't disappointed in anything. Excpet that there wasn't free wifi on offer.

Great room in the chateau, great food in the restaurant. Great views over la Loire. Highly recommended!

Tours, France
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best base in Loire Valley

In my opinion basing yourself around the Tours area means that you are centrally situated if you want to visit the chateaux to the east (Chinon, Azay, Villandry, Ussé etc) or the west (Chambord, Chenonceaux, Amboise, Cheverny etc).

Although you do not say in your posting, I am assuming that you will have a car. Getting around by public transport is not easy, although it can be done, but it restricts where you can base yourself.

Also, most chateaux where you can stay are not in towns.

Chateaux with accomodation that spring to mind are:

Chateau de Noizy - between Tours and Amboise

Domaine de la Tortiniere - Montbazon, south of Tours

Chateau d'Artigny - also at Montbazon

Chateau de Prey - Amboise

Chateau de Brou - Ste Maure de Touraine

You will find details and reviews on all these in Trip Advisor.

Schenectady
Level Contributor
107 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best base in Loire Valley

Oh my, each is so beautiful. How does one decide? Do you prefer north or south of the Loire, does it matter?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,321 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best base in Loire Valley

To me (and I think many people) there is nothing more charming and romantic than the idea of spending the night in some medieval castle. Even better if your hosts are an actual count and countess. If this interests you then about 20 kilometers southwest of Chinon is a chateau called Chateau de Ternay:

www.chateau-de-ternay.com/pages/indexpag.html

My wife and I spent one of our most memorable vacation nights together here. The chateau really evokes those images of lords and ladies and has many interesting details. You are sort of in the middle of nowhere here, and we liked that. Just lovely, quiet agricultural rural countryside. The night we were there we were the only guests. The castle is owned and lived in by an actual count and countess and has been in the family since the 15th or 16th century (a really interesting story). The count and countess made us dinner using all local products (yes, dinner served to you by nobility) which was absolutely delicious and accompanied by copious amounts champagne and wine from the area. They sat with us at dinner and shared the history of the chateau as well as much other personal conversation. They don't speak much English so the conversation may not be as interesting as what we had but I loved my stay here so much I had to share it with you. The dinner hall was absolutely reminiscent of the old days as were the bedrooms, albeit with heating and lovely bathrooms. I believe they also have a pool for the summer months (we were there in the winter). Look at the website and see the pictures of both inside and outside and see if this doesn't interest you.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,321 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best base in Loire Valley

I should add that Ternay is not centrally located and is about 1-1/2 hours drive from Tours and 2 hours from Blois (per viamichelin.com). I liked my stay so much I would be willing to do the driving each day to see the sites, but that's just me.

Baltimore, Maryland
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best base in Loire Valley

My first choice would be the Domaine des Hauts de Loire, in Onzain. If that isn't centrally located enough, my second choice would be the Chateau de Noizay (a little east of Tours). Do NOT recommend the Hautes Roches ... on a very noisy truck route (which you can't see from the site photos), and the rooms are badly in need of updating.

7. Re: Best base in Loire Valley

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2010, 05:16