We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A trip report for June

Wauchope, Australia
Level Contributor
600 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
A trip report for June

WE stayed in at a lovely gite in Le Grand -Pressigny which is in the Tourraine, not too far from Loche. We had originally thought we'd stay near Chinon but were very happy with LG-P, it was an extremely pretty and interesting area.

The Gites, Les Limonierres, were exactly what we wanted. Well equipped and the owners girls as well as guests from the other cottage provided much needed child company for my 11 yo son. It was lovely sitting in the little private garden next to out cottage with a glass of wine listening to the kids playing happily in the fabulous large garden area around the other side. My son loved riding the bikes into town too, it was a fairly easy but enjoyable ride.

We visited Loches on its market day, which was a lot of fun. Loches is a lovely old town. I would highly reccomend the Museum of Prehistory in Le Grand-Pressigny, it is an interesting museum plus the new modern building fits in very well with the old castle.

An absolute highlight for us was lunch at La Promenade in Le Petit -Pressigny, we payed €40 per head for the 2 course meal which meant appetisers to start an entree, main plus desert, cheese and petit fours, aswell as homemade truffles with the coffee. La Promenade is a 1* Michelin restaurant, and the food was the best the 3 of us have ever eaten. So it was definitely superb value.

Other highlights were Chenonceau, a trip to Saumur and Chinon. We also visited the local markets at Le Grand-Pressigny and Descartes. We also visited a local cheese maker, which as someone who makes cheese as a hobby was a really interesting thing to do.

We found nearly everyone we dealt with in the area very friendly, welcoming and helpful. We didn't push ourselves to see lots and lots but rather had a holiday in a beautiful part of the world and ended up leaving feeling far more relaxed and happy than when we arrived.

Level Contributor
755 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A trip report for June

This sounds like an ideal holiday. You saw a lot without rushing and you had one great meal!

We saw the museum of prehistory and I have to admit were overwhelmed by the stones. I didn't have a dictionary along and lost the thread among the zillions of lames and livres de beurre (had to look those terms up in my diary just now), but I think even if things had been tagged in English I would have been lost.

It's a lovely spot, isn't it?

Wauchope, Australia
Level Contributor
600 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A trip report for June

We were given the free audio guide in English, which was brilliant my son was enthralled. I felt it was really good for him to get exposure to the sheer length of history which got reinforced when we moved onto Greece.

Most of the museums we went to in France had the audioguides for free, a brilliant service. When we moved on to Venice and Greece we had to pay for them so we only got one between the 3 of us which wasn't as good as each having one.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,607 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A trip report for June

We hope to stay in Loches next year so nice to read about the area. That was no two course meal, sounds more like 5. I have taken the name and added it to my list of places to go. Nice to see it all worked well for you.

Le Grand Pressigny...
Level Contributor
156 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A trip report for June

FYI! The chateau & museum of the pre-historic era in le Grand Pressigny

only re-opened in Sept 09 after extensive renovation...they appear to still be in the throes of adding new bits to their overall offering and service. So far this summer it is resulting in lots more information in English. A good time ot visit is in September/October when the heritage season offers workshops for children and even free entry on certain dates!

The Goats Cheese Producers in La Celle Guenand continues to be popular and they held their first open day in June, this also gave visitors the chance to sample other locally produced food and drink including foie gras, honey, wine, vegetables, jam and off course goat burgers and cheese.

The farm is Pre, route des Roches, 37350 La Celle Guenand and are open to visitors at 6.30pm most evenings during milking and cheese making.

La Promenade, 37350 le Petit Pressigny is owned by Jacky Dallais - reservations are available by calling 02 47 94 93 52

Closed Sunday evening, Monday and Tuesday's.

Other Excellent meals can be sampled in Sazilly at Val de Vienne, La Gerbe D'Or in Loches and many more in the surrounding area...

Les Limornieres near le Grand Pressigny is just one of many great places to stay in this idyllic corner of the Loire Valley countryside.

Check out www.experienceloire.com www.gitelink.com

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,708 posts
1,642 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A trip report for June

Hi Fimum,

Thanks for your Trip report I really enjoyed reading it especially since we are driving through the Loire Valley to Saint trojan les Bains early August.

What did you think of Saumur as I've booked the Chateau De Verrieres for our stay ??

Is it doable to see some of the major attractions from Saumur ?

We are driving down from Paris before heading towards the coast.

any tips greatly appreciated.

Edited: 28 July 2010, 01:29
Wauchope, Australia
Level Contributor
600 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A trip report for June

I have only been to Saumur twice briefly so I am probably not the best to advise, it really depends on how long you are planning to spend there. There is a lot to see in the immediate surrounding area of Saumur which would take you 2 or 3 days anyway. If you are staying much longer than that then you would have to drive for a bit over an hour to see the attractions I was talking about such as Loches, Chenonceau and the museum of pre-hostory in Le Grand Pressigny. The Loire is a big place, it's not easy to be central to all the main attractions.

Saumur has a chateau, which I have not visited and has been closed for renovations though I think may have re-opened, the town itself is interesting, there is the Cadre Noire (national school of equitation), plenty of wineries and my sons favourite the Musee De blinde (tank musuem). Chinon is very nearby (20 minutes) and it would be easy to spend a full day there too. Between Saumur and Chinon are a collection of troglodyte housing, also many chateau but I think most of those are private.

Enjoy your trip.

7. Re: A trip report for June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2011, 05:18