We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

markets and shpping centers in Loire Valley

london
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
markets and shpping centers in Loire Valley

Hello,

I'm planning a trip to Loire Valley and looking for good and nice markets and also big malls. They are intersted mostly on cloths, gifts and almost anything (except food maybe).

Since they can't go for too long and/or places with inclines.

I would be happy to get names or links of few local markets and shopping centers (i.e. malls).

Loches
Level Contributor
256 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: markets and shpping centers in Loire Valley

The Loire Valley is over 600 miles long - which part of it are you visiting?

Essex
Level Contributor
27,639 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: markets and shpping centers in Loire Valley

France don't really go in for Malls, they have more sophistication than that!

The Centre of Blois is very nice for shopping with plenty of individual shops, a great range and all within an interesting City centre.

This site lists pretty well all of the markets you are likely to find within the vast area of the Loire Valley - good luck!:

…angloinfo.com/information/16/markets.asp

london
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: markets and shpping centers in Loire Valley

Well, I think we will be around the following place:

Blois, Tours, Saumur, Puy du Fou.

Isn't there a big famous mall near Tous??

My parents have been abroad only few times and I thought of planning one day in a local market, 2-4 castles, one day for a tour in a winery, few hours of a cruise in the area, one day in a big mall, few villages. We have around 9 days for attractions in Loire Valley (including 2.5 days in Puy du Fou) and 2 days for Paris.

If there is no a special and/or famous market/mall then I'll plan the route according to other attractions and look for market in a villages I arrive.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,778 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: markets and shpping centers in Loire Valley

France has massive sized malls but not in the countryside. There are many around larger cities and Paris has a good number dotted along or at least not far from A104, la Francilienne.

The Loire Valley is not that populated and Tours is not that big of a town. This is not really a shopping destination. You might be interested in Troyes near Burgundy. Here are a couple more links you might find interesting:

outlet-malls.eu/outlet-malls/france/index.php

paris.angloinfo.com/information/6/markets.asp

Essex
Level Contributor
27,639 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: markets and shpping centers in Loire Valley

France DOES go in for Malls??

I fall on my sword, Robspierre!

Tours, France
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: markets and shpping centers in Loire Valley

The French would not use the American term "Mall". In France they are called "Centre Commercial."

Tours is a good shopping centre, with many shops on and around the Rue Nationale. This might be better for clothing.

In addition the are two two Centres Commercials, but they are both on the edge of Tours. There is one at St Pierre des Corps, including a large Carrefour hypermarket, and one at Chambray les Tours, centred around an Auchan hypermarket.

london
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: markets and shpping centers in Loire Valley

Hi,

Thank you all for your answers!

I've looked at …angloinfo.com/information/16/markets.asp

and it gives me many many markets, all of them "General market ".

Can you recommand me any nice, special, big market from them?

In fact general market which includes: cloths, food, gifts etc is just as fine.

I'll be happy if you could recommand any because I can't choose from so many.

Loches
Level Contributor
256 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: markets and shpping centers in Loire Valley

You wont find "gifts" at a general market, unless you're wanting to give socks or vacuum cleaner bags this Christmas.

General markets are the sort of places where people do their weekly shopping. There could well be artisanal producers at the market, but for the main part it will be day to day stuff: food and clothing.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,470 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: markets and shpping centers in Loire Valley

and clothing in the markets is the same mass-produced, imported stuff sold in discount stores.

Malls are pretty much the same everywhere -- I was really surprised this summer to see how little difference there is between the US and Europe, it's not horribly hard to assume that between France and London there's no huge differences, either...it's not local, there's nothing particularly special about the designs, and it's made in the same factory in China (or India or Bangladesh or whatever developing-nation manufacturing you care to substitute) as the stuff in your local shops.

Le Grand Pressigny...
Level Contributor
156 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: markets and shpping centers in Loire Valley

In the Loire Valley you might prefer to pick some artisan producers and visit them in their workshop to see how they still make their products locally:

Check out Toursit office websites for each town or area by searching 'Office de Tourisme + name of place'

Example

loches-tourainecotesud.com/fr/decouvrir/arti…

I can personally recommend a visit to the pottery 'a deux mains' pottery in le Grand Pressigny.

There is also a sweet factory in Loches which all the children I have ever met have highly recommended following their visit ;D

Or for locally produced food:

loches-tourainecotesud.com/fr/…produitslocaux

My favourite local Goats Cheese farm is Pre, La Celle Guenand near le Grand Pressigny (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=fr&geocode=&q=Pr%C3%A9,+La+Celle-Guenand,+France&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=31.564064,78.662109&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Pr%C3%A9,+37350+La+Celle-Guenand,+Indre-et-Loire,+Centre,+France&ll=46.920373,0.866718&spn=0.053113,0.153637&z=13&iwloc=A) but there are many to choose from, producing the delicious St Maure de Touraine cheese.

Perhaps when in France 'shopping' should be for what the region does best! I can recommend plenty (tried and tested ;D) farms and vineyards which are open to visitors.