We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days in Loire - a coastal suggestion?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
75 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
5 days in Loire - a coastal suggestion?

Hi,

All the posts here have been so helpful, I thought I'd give it a try!

My mother and I are traveling to France for the first time (10 day total trip) - we decided to go slow and try to enjoy one region rather than the all-at-once trip - the general plan is 2 days in Paris (because we cannot completely skip that!) then get in the car and head to the Loire Valley for 5 days...we took a recommendation from a previous post and are hoping to stay in Tours for the first 2-3 nights as a good centrally-located place for the chateaux/castles - but the last 2-3 nights we are a bit lost: we would love to see some Atlantic coastline....as an FYI, we will spend the last 2 nights of the trip in Versailles (arrive at night, tour an entire day, overnight again to depart the following morning)....

Suggestions are welcome - we are traveling in April so it will be chilly but even so, would love to see the ocean and coast!

MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!

p.s. if anyone also happens to know, do we need to reserve the Versailles English tour in advance for a Friday? I have heard it is worth it to take the English tour.....

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Tours
Tours
Loire Valley, France
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
37,229 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 days in Loire - a coastal suggestion?

without any guidance to help, I chose St-Nazaire because it's about the closest Atlantic-coast city to Versailles and it's more or less a straight shot ---

It's 6+ hours each way to drive....not really in line with your "go slow and try to enjoy one region" plans.

Saint Malo is about 5 hours each way.

Edited: 27 March 2011, 15:38
Le Grand Pressigny...
Level Contributor
156 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 days in Loire - a coastal suggestion?

la Rochelle? Vieux Port is well worth a visit and a wander it is 2-3 hours maximum from Loire.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
37,229 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 days in Loire - a coastal suggestion?

La Rochelle is still the better part of 5 hours from Versailles.

4. Re: 5 days in Loire - a coastal suggestion?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 04:16