We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations

northern ireland
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations

My wife and I are spending a week in the Loire Valley at the end of May. We fly into and out of Tours and that is about our only set plan. We are hoping to receive recommendations for some fine restaurants and places to stay. We are mid 30's and enjoy fine food and wine. We plan to take in a few chateaus but not too many.

We will be grateful for any advice and will post an update on our return.

Mentioned in this post
Loire Valley
Loire Valley
Centre-Val de Loire, France
Gyroway Val de Loire
City Tours, Segway Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Val de Loire Travel
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Day Trips
Le Petit Train Touristique
Scenic Railroads, Sightseeing Tours
Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
23,629 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations

Will you have a car?

northern ireland
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations

Yes, sorry I meant to say that we will be travelling by car.

Since I posted I have been looking at restaurant Le gambetta in Saumur and restaurant Charles Berrier in Tours. I would be interested to know what people think of these and if they know of any nice accommodation nearby.

We are planning on seeing quite a bit of the Loire Valley during our stay.

Again thanks.

Edited: 10 May 2011, 21:33
Mentioned in this post
Restaurant le Gambetta
Restaurant le Gambetta
408 Reviews
Saumur, France
Saumur
Saumur
Maine et Loire, France
Loire Valley
Loire Valley
Centre-Val de Loire, France
CA
Level Contributor
9,740 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations

This is one of our favorite hotels, and surprisingly reasonable:

http://en.chateau-de-rochecotte.fr/

Tours, France
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations

It has been a long time since I have dined at Charles Barrier in Tours, but it was good. However, in Tours I prefer La Rive Gauche:

http://www.tours-rivegauche.com/

Within 30 minutes or so drive from Tours are many good restaurants. Over the years I have found the guide Touraine Gourmand has always had a selection of good restaurants.

http://www.touraine-gourmande.fr/

They have added some new ones recently which I do not know; but amongst my long time favourites are:

Auberge du Val de Vienne at Sazilly (number 5 in the guide)

Le Diable de Plaisirs at St Branchs (number 16 in the guide)

L'Aigle d'Or at Azay le Rideau (number 8)

As far as hotels are concerned, do you want to be in the centre of a large town like Tours, in order to wander around to local bars etc, or do you want a more luxourious hotel, maybe a chateau hotel, outside of the town?

Luxury hotels around Tours include

Chateau de Noizay at Noizay

Chateau d'Artigny at Montbazon

Domaine de la Tortinière at Veigné

Since I live in the area, I have no experience what it is like to stay in these hotels, so you would need to look up reviews of them.

Mentioned in this post
Chateau de Noizay
Chateau de Noizay
490 Reviews
Noizay, France
Chateau d'Artigny
Chateau d'Artigny
553 Reviews
Montbazon, France
L'Aigle d'Or
L'Aigle d'Or
337 Reviews
Azay-le-Rideau, France
Restaurant Charles Barrier
Restaurant Charles...
267 Reviews
Tours, France
Montbazon
Montbazon
Loire Valley, France
northern ireland
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendations

Thank you both so much for your advice.

I am thinking that we will try to combine both town and country locations during our stay. Possibly stay near Saumur at the beginning and then make our way towards Orleans during the week stopping off to enjoy the wine and food. Hopefully not too much driving in any one day!

I would love to surprise my wife (hopefully she will not find this forum!) with one really special stay during the week. Hopefully somewhere that can offer one of those memorable French dining experiences! We have been to France 9 times in the last 3 years and have been fortunate enough to always find one on each trip.

Mentioned in this post
Saumur
Saumur
Maine et Loire, France
Orleans
Orleans
Loire Valley, France
France
France
Europe
northern ireland
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendations

Does anyone have knowledge or thoughts of the restaurant at Domaine des Hauts de Loire?

Cumeray a Gennes
Level Contributor
39 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommendations

Gambetta is great - we had a really good meal there recently and we live here. Favre d'Anne in Angers is good too.

If you need any more local advice do ask.

Mentioned in this post
Angers
Angers
Maine et Loire, France
8. Re: Recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 02:17