We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Holiday

adelaide
4 posts
Save Topic
Family Holiday

we are wanting to spend a week in the loire valley. we have 13 and 11 year old kids, so would like to dome some (gentle!) cycling, and base ourself in a nice gite type accomodation, taking day trips out from there. where should we stay? amboise looks gorgeous - is it a good location as a central base. haa anyone stayed in lovely gites there, with catering too ideally?

Essex
Level Contributor
27,469 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Holiday

On the whole, Gites are self catering properties, you would be hard pushed to find one that is 'catered':

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%AEte

However, they do exist if you search hard-enough, especially if the Gite owner also has a Chambre d'Hote, where they might be prepeared to include you in any meals that they would normally provide for guests - for a fee, of course!

IF you want a catered property, you are really looking for a Chambre d'Hote (not all of them do evening meals either), possibly a farm holiday or a 'pension'. Other than that, you are getting into 'hotel' territory.

Le Grand Pressigny...
Level Contributor
156 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Holiday

Or have you considered someone like Loire Valley breaks who offer bike tours based in the heart of the vineyards in St Nicolas de Bourgeuil. They offer chambre d'hote style accommodation with optional evening meals some nights of the week or access to local restaurants in the nearby village.

www.loirevalleybreaks.com

Otherwise I can confirm you will find gites of many varying guises, some do offer bikes to borrow and catering on demand. The problem is how to find one without trawling through many first.

If you decide on your preferred location and search from then onwards it should narrow things down, or alternatively contact the local Offtice de tourisme and put your criteria to them to see what they come up with from their local lists. Our local OdeT in Le Grand Pressigny and slightly further afield in Loches both do this for enquirers.

Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Holiday

I bet that idea is a blast! I've never been there actually but I have some few friends who had already been there and spent there holiday week. According to them the place is very awesome and everything about going there was all worth it.

4. Re: Family Holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 22:16