We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can't miss sights

St. Petersburg, FL
Level Contributor
5 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Can't miss sights

We are staying 1 night in Chambord then on to Chinon for a night. Are there any sights along the way that we shouldn't miss? Great little towns or small wineries and the like? Food ,wine and interesting people always top our lists. Any suggestions would be great. I should add that we are travelling Mid-May by rental car.

Edited: 16 February 2012, 20:58
Mentioned in this post
Chambord
Chambord
Loire Valley, France
Chinon
Chinon
Loire Valley, France
Loire Valley from Paris, Skip the...
537 Reviews
from US$211.30*
Special Offer
Tour from Paris with Chambord...
814 Reviews
from US$178.90*
US$198.80
Loire Valley Chateaux Tour...
39 Reviews
from US$262.60*
Normandy, St-Malo, Mont St-Michel...
48 Reviews
from US$761.60*
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
37,269 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can't miss sights

I'm not yanking your chain -- you could spend a couple of days on that route and not run out of things to do, even though it's only about an 80-mile drive.

Blois, Amboise, Chenonceau, the entire city of Tours, Villandry, Azay-le-Rideau, and Langeais are all more-or-less on the way from Chambord to Chinon.

Mentioned in this post
Blois
Blois
Loire Valley, France
Amboise
Amboise
Loire Valley, France
Villandry
Villandry
Loire Valley, France
Azay-le-Rideau
Azay-le-Rideau
Loire Valley, France
Langeais
Langeais
Loire Valley, France
Chambord
Chambord
Loire Valley, France
Chinon
Chinon
Loire Valley, France
Essex
Level Contributor
30,026 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can't miss sights

As a contrast from all those Chateaux, perhaps you would consider the Troglodyte Caves!! There are many areas spread around the whole of the Loire, and some of the wineries use some of these caves for storage and 'brewing' (yes I know that's not quite the right term but it is getting late!!)

The best are at Rochemenier, although this is a bit further past Chinon than you might want to drive!

Mentioned in this post
Loire Valley
Loire Valley
Centre-Val de Loire, France
Chinon
Chinon
Loire Valley, France
Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,680 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can't miss sights

If you like gardens, there is an amazing garden festival at Chaumont. Villandry's gardens are beautiful, too.

NEW YORK
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can't miss sights

I concur with the places that Sunshine suggested as well as adding a few more days to your visit. The drive from Chambord to Chinon is long and there a so many amazing places to visit in the Loire Valley. The small towns that I enjoy visiting along the above route are Montbazon and Crissay-sur Manse. The following towns are close to Chinon and I would recommend a visit: Candes-Saint-Martin,Fontevraud,Saumur and Montreuil-Bellay.

Make sure you try the Vouvray... Bon Voyage!

Edited: 18 February 2012, 14:12
Mentioned in this post
Chambord
Chambord
Loire Valley, France
Chinon
Chinon
Loire Valley, France
Loire Valley
Loire Valley
Centre-Val de Loire, France
Montbazon
Montbazon
Loire Valley, France
Saumur
Saumur
Maine et Loire, France
Vouvray
Vouvray
Loire Valley, France
St. Petersburg, FL
Level Contributor
5 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can't miss sights

Thank you! Wish we could add another few days but it's just not possible! We can only make a quick jaunt out of Paris.

Edited: 18 February 2012, 16:38
Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Can't miss sights

Let's be really controversial and suggest you cut time out of Paris and spend it in the Loire?

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
7. Re: Can't miss sights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2013, 10:18