We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting about in The Loire Valley

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Getting about in The Loire Valley

Hello. My husband and I will arrive in The Loire on a Eurail Pass so we can get off at any of the stations in the Loire. Can anyone suggest which town is best to make a base for 5 days 4 nights or should we stay at 4 different places? What is the best way to get around? After reading a few forums thus far I am thinking a car hired through the suggested website. We want a bit of freedom to poke about and linger and not to always be on guided tours. If we went from place to place using the rail system would that give us a good coverage of the Valley or is a car really going to open up the Valley to us? Thank you.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,047 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting about in The Loire Valley

Do not get a Eurail Pass for travel in France. Or anywhere else. It will cost more than ordinary train tickets. In France, you have to pay extra for seat reservations and the number of seats available for passholders is very limited.

Indeed, I believe that from the start of this year it is no longer possible to buy passes for train travel in France.

If you arrive by train, go to St-Pierre-des-Corps (just outside Tours) and rent a car there. A car is almost essential to explore this area easily.

Every time you move, you waste some hours packing up, checking out and in, etc. Stay in one place. May favourite place is Loches: large enough to have a number of shops and restaurants, but small enough that traffic and parking are not major problems.

Le Grand Pressigny...
Level Contributor
156 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting about in The Loire Valley

Agree with above, car from St Pierre des Corps a good idea to enable you to make the most of your stay. Owing to the rural nature of the area, with planning you need not cover the same ground twice by taking the scenic routes via villages and countryside.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,385 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting about in The Loire Valley

Either base yourself in Tours where you have many transportation options or rent a car and stay where you otherwise might enjoy.

A Eurorail pass is of little to no value for visiting the Loire Valley (or anywhere else in France).

4. Re: Getting about in The Loire Valley

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2014, 06:18