We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Intinerary Help: Paris to Bordeaux to Loire Valley to Paris?

Chapel Hill, North...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Intinerary Help: Paris to Bordeaux to Loire Valley to Paris?

Hi,

I'm planning a trip in July that will start with a few days in Paris, then I'll be taking the train to Bordeaux for a professional meeting. That part seems pretty easy. I'll be heading back to Paris for my flight home, but I'd really to stop on the way for a few days of sightseeing in the Loire Valley. If at all possible I'd like to avoid renting a car. (My "navigator" would be a 14 year old -- somehow a train seems more "doable"). I've considered taking a train from Bordeaux to Tours and using Tours as a home base for some chateaux visits. I keep seeing Amboise mentioned, though. It sounds very charming. I'd really like a smaller town experience. What I can't tell, though, is how difficult it is to get from Bordeaux to Amboise, and then to Paris, by train. I'm fine with taking a short taxi ride to and from hotels, if necessary. Any thoughts, advice, or suggestions?

Thanks so much!

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Intinerary Help: Paris to Bordeaux to Loire Valley to Paris?

You'll have to go from Bordeaux to Tours and then change to a train to Amboise...and do the reverse to get back to Paris.

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,861 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Intinerary Help: Paris to Bordeaux to Loire Valley to Paris?

Have you tried www.tgv-europe.com? You can have a look at routes, timetables, etc.

If you don't get a response here, you might also like to post your train travel query on the separate Train Travel forum.

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,931 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Intinerary Help: Paris to Bordeaux to Loire Valley to Paris?

You could go to Amboise, but you will be returning (on a less that frequent train service) to Tours each day you are in Amboise if you want to go to anywhere else. Far better to stay in Tours, and travel by public transport from there. There are some really good private hotels and B&Bs in Tours at all price levels.

Plus, many people (of whom I am one) find Amboise anything but charming, being a quite overrated tourist town, nice and easy for guidebook writers and tour buses to get to from Paris, but less interesting than most other towns in the area.

Edited: 20 April 2013, 23:30
Chapel Hill, North...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Intinerary Help: Paris to Bordeaux to Loire Valley to Paris?

Thank you very much! I think staying in Tours will work best for us. Any recommendations for a nice hotel near the nice part of Tours? Something old and charming, maybe? I would spend up to about 150 euro a night.

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,931 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Intinerary Help: Paris to Bordeaux to Loire Valley to Paris?

Two places instantly spring to mind - Maison Jules, and Suites Behringer. Both within walking distance of the central station. Then there are places like Hôtel Du Manoir and Hôtel Ronsard. Hôtel Du Manoir looks great, but we have nopersonal experience of it, and Rondard got a good review from someone I was talking to last week.

6. Re: Intinerary Help: Paris to Bordeaux to Loire Valley to Paris?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2014, 05:18