We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Loire Valley Itinerary critique:

LIncoln, NE
Level Contributor
816 posts
150 reviews
Save Topic
Loire Valley Itinerary critique:

This is a brief overlay of our Loire Valley stops. We have packed in a lot, and are interested in suggestions. We have also made cuts from our original plan in this part of France. The three Chateaus’ we’d prefer to keep if we can’t make the other two fit into our time table are: Asay Le Rideau, Chateau Chenonceau, and Chambord.

Day 1 –Leave Dinan early morning, - tour Villandry gardens only, next Asay Le Rideau Chateau – overnight Asay le Rideau - Long day

Day 2 – Leave Asay Le-Ridea, drive south to Villaines-les-Rochers, for a brief visit , and up to visit Chateau Chenonceau to tour castle and grounds. Hopefully, we can find a vineyard to visit in this area. Stay this night between here and Cheverny.

Day 3 – Visit Chateau Cheverny and Chambord Chateau.

Unfortunately, with our timetable, this is all we can allow in this beautiful area, so hopefully this itinerary will give us a little of the experience here. We will be heading to Alsace from Chambord, so are considering stopping around Beaune for that night . Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,775 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Loire Valley Itinerary critique:

That´s a rather exhausting 3 days. I like the château selection, certainly among the most historical and architecturally significant.

I hesitate even suggesting this to you as your plate is already full but the vineyard you might want to visit between Chenonceau and Cheverny is la Cave de la Grande Brosse. It´s right on the route between these two locations (you´ll probably pass by it anyway) and it is well worth seeing. The website will give you an idea but I would call Philippe in advance to be sure someone is there to greet you:

http://www.cavegrandebrosse.com/

LIncoln, NE
Level Contributor
816 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Loire Valley Itinerary critique:

Thanks Sarastro,

I did have that vineyard in my notes, and will try to work it in. We're not on an organized "tour", but still have to have some sort of an itinerary to follow. We chose to cut one of our days in the Loire Valley to add one to our time in Alsace. We still can play around with our schedule some this summer, as so far, we haven't booked any rooms yet. Decided to figure out our driving days first. Thanks again

LIncoln, NE
Level Contributor
816 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Loire Valley Itinerary critique:

Sarastro,

I have our B&B's for this area narrowed to two and would appreciate your opinion:

With our above tentative itinerary, if we can get include Chenonceau visit as an end to the first day, we're considering staying in one of the two B&B's I have listed here. One lists Oisly as the address, and the other Cour-Cheverny . It appears that our first day will be long, Oilsy might be a little closer than Cour-Cheverny. Both B&B's look to be nice and if we stay in Oisly, we could possibly also stop in the la Cave de la Grande Brosse. ( I have tried two times to e-mail Phillippe regarding our visit with him on the day that would work best for us to see if he'd be open. But so far haven't received anything back, so will keep trying or just call when we get to France. )

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,775 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Loire Valley Itinerary critique:

The chambres d'hotes locations you mention, and i have not stayed at either, are very close. They are only 10 to 15 minutes at most away from one another so I would make a determination on which has availibilty and which I preferred, not on their distance from location I might want to visit.

However, I think it would be a big mistake to attempt to drve from Dinan and then visit 3 chateaux on the same day. It's overly ambious and probably not even possible.

Philippe is usually around the property but I would at least call in advance. I think his English is good as he greets a lot of people at his vineyard.

LIncoln, NE
Level Contributor
816 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Loire Valley Itinerary critique:

Sarastro, . I miss typed in the above reply. Sorry. (My hands are faster than my mind) It is night 2, I was referring to as which might be a better choice between Oisly or Cheverny. They both have room and seem to be equally nice. Here's my original plan, I should have referred to it. So Day 2 I think we'll try for Oisly then. And appreciate your help again.

Here is what my original post on this forum read:

Day 1 –Leave Dinan early morning, - tour Villandry gardens only, next Asay Le Rideau Chateau – overnight Asay le Rideau - Long day

Day 2 – Leave Asay Le-Ridea, drive south to Villaines-les-Rochers, for a brief visit , and up to visit Chateau Chenonceau to tour castle and grounds. Hopefully, we can find a vineyard to visit in this area. Stay this night between here and Cheverny.

Day 3 – Visit Chateau Cheverny and Chambord Chateau

6. Re: Loire Valley Itinerary critique:

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2014, 06:18