We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train and car rental details - Paris/Tours/Amboise/Paris

Seattle
Level Contributor
32 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Train and car rental details - Paris/Tours/Amboise/Paris

Any info to assist in planning will be greatly appreciated. We are flying into Charles DeGaulle on 8/29, and then needing to catch a TGV to Tours where we will stay for 2 nights. On 8/30, we need to rent a car to have in Tours (probably from AutoEurope) and to drive to Amboise for 2 nights. Then we need to take the TGV to Paris. I could use suggestions on how to make this all happen as easy as possible. For example: where do we catch the first train to Tours and how do we get there from the airport? We are staying at La Maison Jules in Tours -- what is the best car rental location from there? Also, when we leave Amboise and need to return the car to catch the train to Paris, what is the best car dropoff for catching the train? Finally, it sounds like we need to get our reservations for the TGV in advance for both the airport to Tours part, and the Tours to Paris part, correct? Thank you. Martin

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,528 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train and car rental details - Paris/Tours/Amboise/Paris

Unfortunately you do not mention when you arrive at CDG which is very important. There are trains form CDG to Tours Centre from where to could easily walk to your hotel. Give yourself a minimum of 3 hours between scheduled aircraft arrival and scheduled train departure.

I would contact Autoeurope for rental car information:

www.autoeurope.com

I don't know how well you are familiar with this area but 2 nights in a hotel in Tours followed by two nights in a hotel in Amboise (which is about 30 minutes away) seems a pointless endeavor. I would spend 4 night in the same location or possibly two nights to the east of Tours (which Amboise is but I personally would not stay there) and two nights west of Tours.

If you do spend 2 nights in Amboise, you will need to return to Tours (or St Pierre des Corps, effectively the Tours TGV station) for the return to Paris. It is possible to take a TER train from Amboise to Paris Austerlitz (with a change usually at Orléans), a trip which takes a little be longer en route but may be not only cheaper but simpler.

For train tickets:

http://en.voyages-sncf.com/en/

Seattle
Level Contributor
32 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train and car rental details - Paris/Tours/Amboise/Paris

Why don't you like Amboise? Where do you prefer, and why? We were just splitting time between Tours and Amboise in order to stay at different interesting lodging, and to have different nightlife. Thanks. Martin

Seattle
Level Contributor
32 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train and car rental details - Paris/Tours/Amboise/Paris

You mentioned that our arrival time at CDG was important -- We get in at 10:55 am on August 29th.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,528 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train and car rental details - Paris/Tours/Amboise/Paris

Your question has been copied, pasted, and posted to at least three France forums and I believe that overwhelmingly the advice has not substantially varied from that which I have suggested, for a period of only 3-4 days, stay in one central location. There is little to gain by moving a few miles east to Amboise for half of your stay.

As a general rule I do not recommend Amboise as a place to stay. Amboise is a small town that is, during high season, overrun by tourists. There are many other places, much more suitable as a base, than is Amboise. Further, the restaurants there cater to tourists, are overpriced and of very average quality. The one exception is perhaps the Epicerie which is actually quite good.

Edited: 07 July 2013, 08:15
5. Re: Train and car rental details - Paris/Tours/Amboise/Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2014, 06:19