We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blois or Orleans

I
3 posts
Save Topic
Blois or Orleans

(Parents +12 +24) planning a trip along the loire valley by September.

Rent a car in Paris and return after 5 days on the train to Paris.

On the first day we landed at noon so we get around Orleans only at 5 p.m,

Think to sleep at Blois or Orleans and the next day to travell around the area and then continue to Saumur or tour find a place for 4 nights.

What do you Suggest? Where better to stop the first night?

And Which place better to rent for the rest of the trip?

T.U

Essex
Level Contributor
26,726 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blois or Orleans

What are you specifically wanting to do/see there?

Saumur is lovely but far west, the clasically famous Chateaux like Chambord and Chenonceau are in the Loire et Cher region, more to the East, Orleans or Blois are better placed as a base for seeing either/both of them, and many more....

I have stayed in Blois and liked it alot, I have "been through" Orleans, but not even stopped there, so can't help much with what it is like.

Loches, a smaller town, is often mentioned here as a good base for the Eastern region, but it is not ON the Loire, I have not been there myself, so can't elaborate as to what it is like.

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,589 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blois or Orleans

www.experienceloire.com is a useful site where you will find information regarding the towns and villages of the Loire region. Simply click on the link underneath the individual photographs

Montreal
Level Contributor
2,387 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blois or Orleans

From where are you flying in ?

Because if it's an overnight flight from North America for example, I would not drive that far on your first day.

The tiredness from the flight and the night you will have missed plus the jetlag makes it hasardous to drive too much. You could decide to take the train to get to the Loire Valley on your first day or make a closer stop for the first night.

As for where to stop while in the Loire Valley will depends on what you wish to see.

Blois could be a base to explore Chambord, Cheverny, Chaumont, Chenonceau and Blois itself.

If personnaly find Saumur a little bit too far in the west for your second base but then again it depends on what you wish to see.

I like Chinon a lot for a base. Loches is also a nice choice.

Here are other links for you :

http://www.loirevalleytourism.com/index.html

http://loirevalley-worldheritage.org/Map

Edited: 14 August 2013, 16:13
I
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Blois or Orleans

We're coming after 5 hours of flight' until we reach the Loire Valley it will be quite late, so we thought to take place only for the first night. The next day ,we will placed as a base for stay -four nights.

which region or village we will match?

Is Loches good base? Is it not too far?

T.U Netta

Essex
Level Contributor
26,726 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Blois or Orleans

You can take TGV direct from CDG (assuming you arrive there, you don't,say...) to Tours....

I
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Blois or Orleans

we will rent a car in pris and go back by TGV to paris/

Montreal
Level Contributor
2,387 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Blois or Orleans

It would still be a good idea to take the TGV from CDG and pick up your car from Tour for example.

Faster and less tiring. Plus it's not the since scenery from Paris to the Loire Valley.

If you really want to drive from Paris. Why don't you stop let's say in Fontainbleau and take the time to enjoy the town and maybe the château.

8. Re: Blois or Orleans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2014, 06:21