We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Loire for kids...only castles?!

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
49 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
Loire for kids...only castles?!

Hi! I would like to organize my summer holidays with my kids (7 and 9) in Paris and disneyland and then few days in Loire valley but I'm wondering if there is something different to do and to see, because I think that a visit for 4-5 days only with castles could be boring... can you help me? or do you suggest other places to visit? We will rent a car but I don't want to travel a lot and for a long time...

thanks!!

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,985 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Loire for kids...only castles?!

Plenty to do besides chateaux: there's 100s of kilometres of bike paths, adventure parks, a couple of zoos, canoeing (and whitewater kayaking) an aquarium, car museums, a tank museum, a steam railway...

Get a guidebook ut from your local library, it will have plenty of suggestions for kids of all ages.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,184 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Loire for kids...only castles?!

zooparc de beauval is fabulous and is just south of the Loire Valley. Well worth a visit www.zoobeauval.com

But generally the castles are enjoyable for the children. Some of the gardens are great fun.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
2,570 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Loire for kids...only castles?!

There's also this: http://en.blois.fr/285-magic.htm

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
49 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Loire for kids...only castles?!

thanks for the answers! I would prefer to stay in a single place as starting point for the visits, where do you suggest to stay? and which are the best solutions for quality/price? bed and breakfast or hotels?

ciao!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,997 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Loire for kids...only castles?!

Where you should stay will depend on what you want to see and do. Once you decide what you want to see and do then choose a place that is most central to visit those places and people here can help with suggestions. One place to look for hotels and B&B's is tourist office websites, which will list most, if not all, of the accommodation in their respective towns and environs. Look at this thread to get links to all the major tourist office websites for the Loire and links to other websites about cycling, châteaux, wine etc.:

fodors.com/community/europe/france-the-loire…

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,239 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Loire for kids...only castles?!

If you can organize an apartment in Tours you would be in the middle of chateaux country from there you can visit most places by train cycle car or bus. Chateau de Clos Luce Parc Leonardo da Vinci with a side visit to Amboise the kids would love it.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Loire for kids...only castles?!

Since you'll have a car, I would stay somewhere mid-way between the eastern and western ends of the valley. Chinon, for example, affords you the ability to head west toward Saumur and Angers as well as east toward Chenonceaux, Chambord, etc. Getting in and out of Tours is a pain, IMO. Much easier to stay in a smaller town (though one that has plenty on offer for sights and cafés and restos, etc.)

Tours, France
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Loire for kids...only castles?!

Don't miss out on seeing Puy de Fou in the Loire Valley www.puydufou.com - it was the most brilliant day ever (blew me away in fact) your kids would love it! I've not been for a few years but we run guest houses in the Loire and last season's guests were amazed!

9. Re: Loire for kids...only castles?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2015, 07:24