We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris to Tours - Day Trip

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
42 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
Paris to Tours - Day Trip

My husband and I will be visiting Paris the first week in April and would like to do a day trip to Loire Valley and tour some of the castles. I’ve read through many of the posts and learned that we can travel to Tours via TGV (from Montparnasse station to Tours Centre) and then participate in one of the tours offered by the Tourist Office of Tours. We have never travelled via TGV, so I’d like to understand whether we need/should purchase tickets in advance (like the airlines) and if so, how far in advance and where do I purchase them? Same question for the tour—advance tickets?

Thank you for any guidance you can provide.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Loire Valley
Loire Valley
Centre-Val de Loire, France
TGV
TGV
1,293 Reviews
Paris, France
Montparnasse Station
Montparnasse Station
122 Reviews
Paris, France
Gyroway Val de Loire
City Tours, Segway Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Val de Loire Travel
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Day Trips
Le Petit Train Touristique
Scenic Railroads, Sightseeing Tours
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
92,762 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris to Tours - Day Trip

For the best prices on train travel, book direct with the operator as far ahead as possible. Tickets go on sale 3 months before travel, and the cheapest tickets often sell out quickly. Discounted ticket prices keep going up as the travel date gets closer.

You can get train times and costs, and make bookings, at en.voyages-sncf.com/en but use Antarctic at the "Ticket collection country" to avoid being transferred to RailEurope USA, which has higher prices and does not list all the trains.

If you have trouble with voyages-sncf, www.capitainetrain.com is a private website which links directly to the SNCF ticketing system.

I think you should also book your tour in advance, although I do not know whether you will have to pay when you book. i suggest you start with the tourism office: http://www.tours-tourisme.fr/index_en.php

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
7,017 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris to Tours - Day Trip

You will want the 07.45 train from Montparnasse (some days it is 07.42, and others it's 07.46 though...) You will change at Saint Pierre des Corps for the shuttle (navette) train to Tours, a trip of about 5 minutes. That gets you to Tours station at 08.57, and the trips to the chateau leave the tourist office at 09.00. The tourist office is a couple of minutes walk from the station once you have got your bearings.

If they know you're coming on the train the tour bus will wait for you, so booking is essential. Otherwise they tend to leave on time.

Mentioned in this post
Montparnasse
Montparnasse
1,094 Reviews
Paris, France
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
42 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris to Tours - Day Trip

Has anyone experienced delays in receiving a reply back from the tourism office? I submitted a request on their website for one of the tours and immediately received an email that someone would get back to me shortly--that was almost a week ago! I'm anxious to get the tour booked in order to take advantage of the least expensive pricing for train tickets. I sent a follow up email, but still have yet to hear back.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris to Tours - Day Trip

How about making a phone call?

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
42 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris to Tours - Day Trip

Thank you for sharing your photo blog--the pictures are just beautiful! I have received confirmation for my excursion from the tourism office and now that I've seen your photos, I can't wait to get there!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
590 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris to Tours - Day Trip

You're welcome! Enjoy and I know you'll have a memorable trip :)

7. Re: Paris to Tours - Day Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2015, 06:19