We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Biking from Tours

Woodridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
73 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Biking from Tours

Hi!

I've read a few posts about cycling in Loire Valley here and wanted to ask the tripadvisor community if my plan is reasonable and doable.

We are planning to take a train from Paris to Tours and base ourselves there from Thursday to Saturday evening. We are planning to rent bikes near Gare de Tours although I'm still not sure if we should reserve bikes in advance and how many different places to rent there are.

Thursday: the plan would be to explore Tours and fill with something else... see wineries.

Friday: bike west to chateau de Villandry and then to chateau d'Azay-le-Rideau.

Saturday: bike east to chateau de Clos-Luce and and stop at Vouvray on the way back.

I'm still unsure how we can get detailed maps in advance so we don't get lost. Can we just get them from the place where we rent the bikes?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Tours
Tours
Loire Valley, France
Villandry
Villandry
Loire Valley, France
Azay-le-Rideau
Azay-le-Rideau
Loire Valley, France
Vouvray
Vouvray
Loire Valley, France
Gyroway Val de Loire
City Tours, Segway Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Val de Loire Travel
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Day Trips
Le Petit Train Touristique
Scenic Railroads, Sightseeing Tours
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
93 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Biking from Tours

Hi Lily,

I've been planning our first trip to the Loire Valley, and as my hubby is a super keen cyclist, did some research to see if I could join him in doing some easy riding. I came across this excellent website, so thought I'd share the link with you, in case you haven't seen it yet. It has an interactive map that will show you where you can hire bikes from, as well as what to see along the way, restaurants etc, as well as where there are bike dedicated lanes, or where you'll have to share with cars etc. Heaps of info I found really helpful.

http://www.cycling-loire.com/

I'm not sure if you know, but you can print out google maps, (that also has cycling trails and roads on them) make your own custom maps, zoom in to great detail, choose different types of maps (terrain, satellite, simple atlas etc). Save them to use on mobile devices, or print them out. Just one option, if you like customing. And then, there's always the Tourist Office to get your maps too.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,526 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Biking from Tours

The bike rental shop in Tours is at 35 rue Charles Gille www.locationdevelos.com very near the train station.

I would change the Vouvray trip onto your Thursday as it is not that far outside Tours maybe 12km but that will set you up for the rest of the weeks cycling and if you bring a few backpacks you will be able to get your wine for the rest of your stay.

Mentioned in this post
Tours
Tours
Loire Valley, France
Vouvray
Vouvray
Loire Valley, France
Paris, France
Level Contributor
13,116 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Biking from Tours

I don't have time to give a specific response right now but look at these threads for detailed info about biking in the Loire:

www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa…

tripadvisor.com/…52889620

Woodridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
73 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Biking from Tours

Thank you for the links. I'm definitely gonna check them out.

I also forgot to ask whether the majority of these bike trails are actually separate from the main road. We don't usually enjoy riding our bikes next to cars. I assume that in Tours they probably have lanes designated to bikers on the roads which is great... better than having no such lanes.

Mentioned in this post
Tours
Tours
Loire Valley, France
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
93 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Biking from Tours

You may have skimmed over this part of my post?

"It has an interactive map that will show you ....... where there are bike dedicated lanes, or where you'll have to share with cars etc"

It's colour -coded. Look for pink. Very easy to see once you go to the website and start playing with the map.

Woodridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
73 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Biking from Tours

Got it! Thanks JZibibbo! I didn't find that interactive map at first. It's awesome!

We are gonna be there last week of May, so hopefully it's not a very rainy time.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
93 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Biking from Tours

Lily, if you don't like sharing the road with cars, you may not enjoy the ride to Azay-le-Rideau. I'm not very confident riding bikes on busy roads, so I used Google Maps street view to see what kind of roads they were, and 'followed' them to get an idea of what I think I could do.

See if this link works for you. It's a route to Villandry, and then to Azay-le-Rideau, with marked bike paths. It's about 30 kms one way for this trip.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/dir/Tours,+France/Ch%C3%A2teau+de+Villandry,+3+Rue+Principale,+37510+Villandry,+France/Azay-le-Rideau,+France/@47.3408526,0.6052723,10342m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m20!4m19!1m5!1m1!1s0x47fcd5b34a979a55:0x40dc8d705388430!2m2!1d0.68484!2d47.394144!1m5!1m1!1s0x47fd2e5b3c5fbe13:0x9906a15696bd139b!2m2!1d0.514315!2d47.339853!1m5!1m1!1s0x47fd3a9362ec6401:0x40dc8d705389350!2m2!1d0.46574!2d47.26177!3e1

Grab the little yellow man in the lower right corner and drop him somewhere along the route. ( Pretty cool if you've never done it before!) It will take you into the 'virtual' world, and you can see if you reckon you could tackle the roads with cars.

I've read Spring is the best time to visit Tours, so hopefully you'll get great mild sunny days. Hopefully you'll also get some more responses from people who have actually done the bike trips you're thinking of doing, so they can tell you what they thought! (We'll be going for our first trip in October)

Edit: Boo! Well, that link didn't work - you could try copying and pasting it to your browser - or just go to Google Maps, search for Tours, click on directions, add your destinations, turn on bike paths etc... you'll figure it out ... (of course I'm assuming you're not familiar with how to navigate Google Maps, but you may be better at it than me! so apologies if that's the case)

Edited: 06 April 2014, 00:18
Mentioned in this post
Azay-le-Rideau
Azay-le-Rideau
Loire Valley, France
Villandry
Villandry
Loire Valley, France
Tours
Tours
Loire Valley, France
8. Re: Biking from Tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2015, 06:16