We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2+ Days in Loire Valley?

Austin, Texas...
2 posts
Save Topic
2+ Days in Loire Valley?

I'm traveling with my wife and two daughters (13 & 16), and had a few general questions. This will be in mid-June and we will have a car

1. Top things to do?

2. Do I need to buy tix for chateaus or cathedrals ahead of time.

3. Is this too much, or not enough time?

We'll be driving from Strasbourg and heading to Normandy & Paris afterwards.

Thanks,

Mentioned in this post
Strasbourg
Strasbourg
Bas-Rhin, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
24,073 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2+ Days in Loire Valley?

People generally travel to the Loire Valley for the châteaux, the troglodytes, and the food & wine. There is absolutely no need to prepurchase tickets for any visits. You can still see a lot in only 2 days but you should generally know where it is you want to go and prebook hotels.

Mentioned in this post
Loire Valley
Loire Valley
Centre-Val de Loire, France
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
93 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2+ Days in Loire Valley?

Hello Gerard,

I've been doing lots of research for our upcoming trip to the Loire Valley this year, so thought I'd share some links from my bookmarks that may be of interest.

Chambord has lots of activities your daughters and wife might enjoy like horse and carriage ride, take a boat trip or hire some bikes to explore the park and forrest as well as tour the chateaux.

chambord.org/en/…

If your daughters like dogs, they might enjoy the feeding of the hounds at Cheverny:

www.chateau-cheverny.fr/en/castle/kennels

If you do these two chateaux only, you could stay at Blois, which also has a chateaux and plenty of restaurants:

tripadvisor.com.au/Tourism-g187119-Blois_Loi…

If your family enjoys easy bike riding, you may like to check out this site, as there is quite a bit of bike dedicated lanes around Blois:

http://www.cycling-loire.com/

Chenonceau is a high priority to me:

http://www.chenonceau.com/index.php/en

If you decide to only do Chenonceau, perhaps consider Amboise as a base

tripadvisor.com.au/Tourism-g187116-Amboise_L…

or the larger town of Tours:

tripadvisor.com.au/Tourism-g187130-Tours_Loi…

As you'll be coming from the long drive from Strasbourg - I'd really try and squeeze an extra night so you can enjoy 3 nights in the Loire Valley with 2 full days - unless you decide to do just one or two of the Chateaux.

Hope you have a great trip.

Mentioned in this post
Loire Valley
Loire Valley
Centre-Val de Loire, France
Chambord
Chambord
Loire Valley, France
Cheverny
Cheverny
Loire Valley, France
Blois
Blois
Loire Valley, France
Amboise
Amboise
Loire Valley, France
Strasbourg
Strasbourg
Bas-Rhin, France
Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,550 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2+ Days in Loire Valley?

As you have three women with you bring the to Usse where sleeping beauty lies and stay someplace like Chinon. That way you get to see at least 2 chateau enjoy some nice local wine in some lovely restaurants.

Mentioned in this post
Chinon
Chinon
Loire Valley, France
4. Re: 2+ Days in Loire Valley?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2015, 06:15