We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Biking report from base in Tours

Woodridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
69 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Biking report from base in Tours

- I'd like to share the biking experience in Loire valley with my hubby. We stayed in Tours and rented bikes at "detours a velo". Make sure you double check with them their opening hours because they are not open all day long. If for some reason, they don't have bikes, don't get discouraged. You can go to the office of tourisme by the Gare de Tours and find out about other bike renting places. The town is pretty small, so everything is within walking distance. We happened to arrive to Tours on Thursday, May 29th, which is a national holiday in France, so lots of French also wanted to rent bikes. Somehow we got lucky and got the bikes from "detours a velo".

- On Friday, we biked west to Chateau de Villandry, first. Google maps says it should take about 1hr. Well, with a few stops to take pictures it took us almost 1.5hrs. Then, we visited both chateau and gardens which all together took another 2 hours. Also, we brought along our own sandwiches and water, so we didn't waste any time waiting for food. You have to watch the time if you want to visit other chateaus! Our second stop was Chateau Azay-le-Rideau which was another 1hr.

- We had the pocket maps of the area, but we didn't need to look at them because there are well marked signs. You just need to pay attention on the trail! The bike trail is almost always separated from the main road. Only when passing through the villages or towns you have to share the road most of the time.

- On Saturday, we biked east to Chateau Clos-Luce. On the way there, it took us again about 2.5 hrs because of several stops to take pictures, but on the way back only 2hrs. Also, on the way back, we missed a sign when we were passing through a small village, but we asked locals where is Loire, and they pointed us in the right direction. At the chateau itself, we spent probably about 2 hrs, ate lunch and headed back. There is also chateau Amboise in the same town, but we didn't visit it because we had to catch the train back to Paris that evening.

- I hope somebody will find this helpful. Please don't hesitate to ask me any other questions.

Treasure Island...
Level Contributor
290 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Biking report from base in Tours

Thanks for the info, lily85. We are planning on renting in Amboise and taking a day to bike to Chenonceau, so your upbeat info was very much appreciated. We want a tandem, which we know is a long shot, but there appear to be three bike rentals in Amboise (staying in a cottage there), so we may get our wish!

Woodridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
69 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Biking report from base in Tours

Have fun on the tandem! I've seen a few couples riding the tandem.

Also, I forgot to mention that you can buy tickets in advance for 1 less euro at the office of tourism in Tours (that's what we did) and probably in other towns nearby as well. Each castle costs a different amount, so depending on that office of tourism can give a discount of 1 euro or less.

Australia
Level Contributor
185 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Biking report from base in Tours

I am assuming the cycling is mostly flat???

Woodridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
69 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Biking report from base in Tours

It is mostly flat but I'd say that when we biked east from Tours to Amboise it was more hilly than when we biked west but still nothing crazy.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Biking report from base in Tours

Great staff, exactly the kind of information I'm looking for! Thanks for sharing.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Biking report from base in Tours

Thank you. Very useful information :)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
93 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Biking report from base in Tours

Hi Lily!

It's so great you came back to tell us how your trip went. Did you have a favourite spot?

8. Re: Biking report from base in Tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2015, 06:16