I will be in Paris on 11 Aug, and wont leave till 15 Aug. I plan to spend 2 to 2.5 days in the Loire Valley area, probably from 12 - 14 Aug. Here's a few of the items I would like to cover in Loire Valley
i) Visit Versailles along the way
iii) Do a hot air balloon trip over Loire Valley
iv) Stay in one of the Château
A few questions below, hoping to get some help:
1) What is the best route to complete the above? I was initially thinking of driving from Paris all the way, and perhaps return the car in my last stop and take a train back. However, to do this for 2 days, the rental alone will cost 500 euros! and I heard about the crazy traffic out of Paris.
- Should I take a train to Loire Valley area and rent a car from there? Any way to look for cheaper rent?
2) I think the list of Château may be too long, and I may not enter all of them. If I should pick a few, which ones should I definitely not miss?
3) Where is the best place to do the hot air balloon thing? Is it better to do it in the morning or towards sunset?
4) Where would I likely end up in the above itinerary? Where should I book my stay?
5) I come from Singapore, and have a Singapore driving license. What are the steps and things I have to do to rent a car in France? I have not driven in Europe before.
6) Is there a website I can go to which tells me driving routes, tolls and charges etc?
7) If you think I should not drive, what is the next best alternative to go around this area?
Thank you all!