We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days among the chateaux de la loire

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
4 days among the chateaux de la loire

We are a family of 4 (kids 13 & 15) looking to explore the area of the Loire Valley with castles, vineyards etc. from the 15th to the 19th of September. We will have a car, but we are very keen cyclists and are looking to visit most of the attractions by bike (which we need to hire somewhere). Trying to work out where to base ourselves and have been reading lots of posts. Very overwhelming I have to say, but fantastic at the same time. Not keen to stay in Tours as big and touristy, but don't want to be too remote either. Thinking that we may have to move once while there in order to cover the whole region and hence was thinking of staying in Amboise first and then later in Saumur. Would love a night with the kids in a castle for them to get the full experience.

Looking forward to some advice. Thank you in advance, Katja

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
13,299 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days among the chateaux de la loire

hi

you may want to follow this blog for insight about cycling near Blois. aussieinfrance.com/2014/… and this one http://experiencefrancebybike.com/ found that one doing a search for "velo" on the aussieinfrance blog.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days among the chateaux de la loire

thanks, the veloscenic website looks like a real gem and will help with sorting out routes tremendously!!

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,931 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 days among the chateaux de la loire

Tours isnt particularly touristy - if youre hoping to avoid touristy places, I would be avoiding Amboise first - there will be more tourists in Amboise than locals, even in September.

Tours is a city about the same size as Toowoomba in Qld, population wise, but much smaller in physical size. It is the regional centre, and because it isn't in Rick Steves as the bestest place in the whole wide world ever it doesnt get the tourist numbers.

Edited: 21 July 2014, 08:44
Montreal
Level Contributor
2,518 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 days among the chateaux de la loire

Before selecting your bases, I would look at which châteaux / town you wish to visit. Just to make sure you won't select a town too off center for the things you want to do as Saumur might be.

http://loirevalley-worldheritage.org/Map

http://www.loirevalleytourism.com/index.html

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
5 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 days among the chateaux de la loire

We have stayed 2 weeks ago in a cottage (http://www.vrbo.com/654644a), beautiful place, great hospitality. 20 min drive from Blois, 20 min drive from Amboise, 40 min to Chambord castle, about an hr or less to Tours. Highly recommended.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 days among the chateaux de la loire

Thanks everyone for helping. As everything that I was looking at was booked out, I've ended up with something in Amboise for three nights. Hoping I've done the right thing. I'm keen not to get chateauxed out and will endeavour to do some of the other activities:

+ caves with mushrooms

+ wine picking etc

+ canoeing or kayaking

Any advice?

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,931 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 days among the chateaux de la loire

You won't do wine picking (I assume you mean grape picking?) as it's a professional activity and none of the winemakers in the area are big enough to sacrifice part of their crop as a tourist activity.

The mushrooms caves are at Bourré, but sometimes the tours just don't happen (or happen at random times). We have just about given up visiting them because of the unreliability of the tour timings

You may find the kayak and canoeing happening in September but it's highly seasonal There is a place on teh northern bank of the Loire just to the eat of Ambosie where the canoeing has it's base.

Just a word of warning - no matter how much your kids ask to be allowed to swim in the Loire, don't let them. It's illegal along most of the length and highly dangerous due to snags, quicksand etc. This doesn't stop the locals swimming, of course. Nor does it stop the handwringing when 3 or 4 kids a year drown...

8. Re: 4 days among the chateaux de la loire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2015, 05:15