We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Angers day trips

Which Angers hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
6 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Angers day trips

My wife, son and I are traveling to France in May. We plan to take the Eurostar from London to Paris and on to Angers. We tried to find a 3 day overnight tour from Paris to vist Normandy & St. Michel. If we stay in Angers, we could take day tours from there and stay in the same hotel. Is Angers a good place to stay if we want to take a day tour to Normandy, a day tour to St. Michel and a day tour to Loire Valley. We would then train back to Paris from Angers and stay a few days in Paris.

Does this seem like a good plan? Is Rennes the best choice to serve as a base for day tours?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Tim

Essex
Level Contributor
26,995 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Angers day trips

Angers? or Rennes??

Rennes MIGHT be a better option as you can get a bus from the station there to Le Mont St Michel. It is a fair distance, though from the D-Day zone so visiting that area from Rennes might prove quite difficult. I'm also not sure how you would get to the Loire from there, but maybe the Rennes Tourist Office will have such information.

Angers is closer to the Loire Valley - so may be a better base for visiting that area, but it's a helluvalongway from there to MSM and D-Day areas.

I notice you have been told on the Normandy Forum that it is very difficult to do what you want, in only 3 days - this is just the Truth that you might need to accept!

I also notice that on your Normandy Thread it has been suggested that you stay in Paris in order to make 3 separate day trips out to the places you want to see. I think that, logistically, this advice might work best for you. It will be a gruelling 3 days, though!

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,219 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Angers day trips

Rennes and Angers are both good cities, and worth taking some time to know if you're going to be staying there. I would have a hard time using either one as a travel base, unless I could spend some time visiting them as well.

My personal opinion is that you're trying to stuff too much sightseeing into too short a time. You're going to end up rushing around so much that you'll be too tired or preoccupied to see the forest through the trees. And the forest itself (speaking figuratively!) is, more than any monument or attraction, what makes France so special.

Bellflower...
Level Contributor
4,906 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Angers day trips

If you drive, you can drive around the Loire Valley west of Tours, drive to MSM, spend the night there, from there drive to the D-day beaches, spend the night, leave the car in Normandy, and return via train to Paris. You could probably do it in three days, but would you enjoy being so rushed?

MrsJAS

Bellflower...
Level Contributor
4,906 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Angers day trips

I entered Paris tours mont st michel+normandy and found this link, which offers a 2-day tour:

viator.com/tours/…d479-2050PM2

I also saw this link, from the same company, which offers a 4-day tour :

viator.com/tours/…d479-2050NBC4

Both are expensive, IMO; but they may be worth it to you. I have no idea about this company or any other company. Most organized tours go to the major sights, such as chateaux, Mont St Michel, or D-day beaches; they don't do tours of the "Loire Valley" or "Normandy."

Paris is the best place to use as a base if you want to visit these sights on your own. Repeat: You can go on your own via train+bus to Mont St Michel. If you want to do this, send me a personal message and I will give you the info. You can take a train to Tours and take a formal tour from there or just take a formal tour from Paris. Many years ago, I took an organized tour of chateaux as a day trip from Paris and that whetted my appetite to see the Loire Valley on my own. You can take the train to Bayeux and from there take a D-day tour; this would probably require an overnight stay.

Good luck with your planning.

MrsJAS

Le Mans, France
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Angers day trips

I agree with a lot of the above comments in that trying to do Angers and the D-day beaches in three days (and possibly Rennes) may be too much to cram in. The D-Day beaches stretch from a point east of Caen along the Normandy coast towards the Cherbourg peninsula (and Utah beach is at the base of the peninsula). Apart from the beaches, there a lot of history to explore and put it all in context - for example, the bombing of St Lo by the Allies, the Mulberry harbour at Arromanches, why it was imperative to secure and hold Cherbourg to keep the Allied war effort moving. For the D-day trip, any one of the smaller resorts along the Normandy coast might be a good base. Further east, the port of Honfleur is worth a visit on its own.

For Mont St Michel, if travelling by car, you may need to park some distance away from the Mont itself so allow time for a longish trek there and back if you wish to visit the Mont rather than view from a distance. Not that far away from Mont St Michel, you might also want to consider the walled town (Intra Muros) at Saint Malo and also Dinan (city walls, timbered houses, the old port). Dinan might be a reasonable base for exploring Mont St Michel and surrounds but would still involve a good deal of travel to the D-Day beaches.

All this is not to dismiss Angers! It, and the surrounding area is worth a visit on its own and there are any number of sites to see in or near Angers - the chateau, Terra Botanica horticultural theme park, the vineyards of Anjou, then along the Loire towards Saumur (chateau, tank museum, Cadre Noir (French Cavalry School) and troglodyte dwellings (and vineyards) Montsoreau, Abbaye de Fontevraud, Chinon, Azay-le-Rideau. Again, taking in all of that would easily take up 3 days!.

For a better idea of travelling times, recommended routes, diesel/gasoline costs and toll charges, I'd recommend viamichelin.com asa good resource.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
132 posts
432 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Angers day trips

I will be in Angers in mid June for 4 days meeting a friend. I will not be renting a car. Is there bus/van tours to the chateaux in Loire Valley? I don't mind taking the train ( hotel is within easy walking distance to train station) to a neighboring town/city to join a day tour , if that what it takes.

Thanks.

7. Re: Angers day trips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2014, 20:16