We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snorkelling

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Topic
snorkelling

Hi all, I have been reading so much about where to stay on Efate and I just cannot decide as we really want great snorkeling from the resort. It seems that most need us to go on a trip, but we want to spend our entire days looking at fish and coral, without too much rip from the ocean. I did think it would be in lagoons, but from what I read, people don't seem to recommend lagoon snorkeling, but they seem so peaceful and blue, from pictures I have seen, so am confused on this aspect. We are a couple in our 40's, and not taking kids for the first time in 20 years.

The other requirements that I am looking for are:

1. snorkeling is the first priority

2. air conditioning

3. TV reception for AFL grandfinal in September (yes seems weird to want TV, but it is only for this event). We have already managed to book a few days at Eratap for an absolute treat. Now need a second resort.

The choices seem to be

a. Aquana (this resort is probably in our budget)

b. Havannah (seems to be out of budget) but reviews seem great, so would have to consider paying this amount of money.

c. Breakas (although i read that the rip is strong)

d. Holiday Inn (although is this on a lagoon with not good snorkeling?)

e. Fatumaru

I am hoping someone can solve our question.

many thanks for all replies

Sydney
Level Contributor
131 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: snorkelling

Would you consider Hideaway Island if you want to snorkel without travelling?

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,308 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: snorkelling

Hi

I wouldn't recommend any of the places you have listed for fantastic snorkelling straight from the resort.

Aquana is lovely but is in a more tidal/mangrove part of the island. And its right next door to to Eratap where you are spending a couple of nights so you probably would prefer some variety? But definitely go in to Aquana for a meal if you get a chance.

Havannah has OK snorkelling and you are not far from a boat to Lelepa Island for great snorkelling.

Breakas is OK snorkelling at some times of the day if the sea isn't too rough. The waves aren't really close in to the beach plus there is a pool and its adults only.

Holiday Inn has poor snorkelling in the first lagoon. You might see the odd starfish or small fish.

Fatumaru is on the main harbour and a lot of traffic...not good for snorkelling at all.

I would recommend http://hideaway.com.vu Its only 15mins from town and a short free ferry ride for guests.

Good snorkelling and options to go on snorkel tours, diving, lots of fish, nearby fishing tours, Cascades, The Summit, Tanna Coffee etc.

The Beach Bar on the main island at the Hideaway wharf televises all major football games, has fire dancers, live music etc on some nights. Or catch a bus into town for some variety.

Or if you didn't mind being a little bit further out have a look at Tara Beach Resort which also has great snorkelling with good access off a wharf to a coral drop off. Its ni-van run, not luxurious but if you are in the water all the time... who cares :)

Erakor Island at the mouth of the first Lagoon and Paradise Cove are also worth looking at.

cheers

Edited: 12 May 2013, 08:41
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: snorkelling

Paradise Cove is great for snorkeling, but no TV. We normally go into town and watch GF at Chills restaurant.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: snorkelling

Thank you so much for feedback. Hideaway is booked out for the time we want. I have had a look at Tara Resort and Paradise Cove Resort and they both look absolutely fantastic, my only hesitation is the air conditioning, I just like to be able to be cool, if I need to.

Thank you for the GrandFinal advice at Chills restaurant - that solves that problem for my partner!

I look at pictures of Vanuatu and I see this amazing blue water - is this only available at highly touristy places? or are these blue pictures common? I am thinking you all know what I mean.

Maybe I am hoping for too much to get the air con and the amazing snorkeling?

Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
123 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: snorkelling

What about Iririki island resort? And yes the water truly is that blue, we are on the sea wall and our office shed is the parasailing and just look out to the beautiful water, sometimes when its hot we jump in to cool off. Hubby has even swam over to Iririki with the staff for a bit of fun. Iririki is a short ferry ride to port vila town. Also there is reef explorer who does snorkelling trips around Iririki, all the best for planning your trip.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,308 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: snorkelling

Other than The Beach Bar at Hideaway wharf and Chill (no volume on the TVs there usually...its a restaurant), you could also watch the football at The Anchor Inn, The Port or the Sportsmen's Bar (these may have a little more atmosphere too).

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: snorkelling

Don't be phased about lack of air con at Paradise Cove. All bungalows are near the water and get a lovely sea breeze through them. Also temp and humidity are good around Sept. Oct. We always go that time of the year.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Denarau Island
Level Contributor
2,115 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: snorkelling

If you are not really serious experienced snorkellers, but just love it for fun, the lagoon off Le Lagon & Erakor Island is quite good.

Plenty of Starfish, also lots of other pretty fishes to be seen. Its near the entrance to the sea, so you never know what you might see. Its quite safe unless the tide is running fast, then just take a bit more care if you aren't great swimmers.

Le Lagon has aircon, but is a big family oriented resort. Erakor has no aircon & is quieter, but most rooms have a good ocean breeze.

Hope this helps

Anni

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: snorkelling

Is it hot and humid all year round in Vanuatu, particularly in september/october?

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,308 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: snorkelling

Humidity is lower May-Oct. Av. daily temp is about 28-29C at that time.

Ceiling fans are usually fine and AC not really needed if you are on the water.

Get answers to your questions about Efate