We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do You Live In the Area?

Chatham, United...
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Do You Live In the Area?

If so, where would you recommend to spend a day?

We are staying here http://www.chateau-drancourt.com/ and would be ok to drive about 1 - 1.5 hours away

I have a few things in mind and we do have one day done and dusted but would like to know if anyone local to the area would recommend a day in a certain place/area

Many thanks

Amiens, France
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do You Live In the Area?

Hi,

There si certainly a lot to see in Amiens, starting with a visit to the cathedral and a walk around St Leu followed by a boat trip in the "hortillonnages" the floating gardens.If you are intesrested in history, a tour of the WW1 battlefields is worthwhile.Have you tried the tourist information website, it is well documented and in English.

visit-somme.co.uk/somme_tourisme/…amiens

Enjoy your holiday!

Essex
Level Contributor
27,151 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do You Live In the Area?

I agree with ^^^, Amiens is about the right distance away for you, and would be a really interesting city to spend a day.

A little further afield, you have Arras and also Rouen, which both have much to recommend them.

I realise that I should NOT be posting on this thread, but I couldn't resist it!!

Happy Holiday!

Chatham, United...
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do You Live In the Area?

Thank you both for your replies - Essex, post where u like lol

I think my next holiday will also be in St Valery as there is too much to pack into our short time there

Thank you for taking the time to reply

KR x

Rogerstone
Level Contributor
201 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do You Live In the Area?

Hello KR

I probably shouldn't reply to this post either (!) but as we stay in this area regularly thought I'd pass on some thoughts. It is worth spending time in St Valery itself - the campsite is outside the town and not really within walking disctance so you need to take the car. Always buy a ticket as there are regular checks.

In the town is the steam railway station where the train starts for regular trips around the bay to Le Crotoy - check the timetable for Easter. Our favourite though is the boat trip - either just out into the bay (about 1.5 hours) or further out for a couple of hours. Dress warmly and get there early to have a seat outside on the top deck.

There are some lovely restaurants to return to for lunch or dinner - too many to choose or recommend one. If self catering try the butchers on the main street behind the prom as he does wonderful salt marsh lamb

If you are there on a Sunday the market is a must - again arrive early as parking is then at a premium. We always order a roasted chicken and potatoes to have with a bottle of wine on return home. If you don't order you may miss out! There is also a very good cheese stall from Boulogne - you will see him clearly as he has a long queue of patient people. Plenty of fish shops as well.

Further afield the beach at Berck is good, shopping at Le Touquet, Amiens and the floating allotments as already suggested, the gardens at Valloires, Dieppe about 1.5 hours south, and of course the Somme battlefields. Our favourite is at Mametz which has the most amazing monument to the Welsh regiment - a large dragon on a plinth in a field in the middle of nowhere.

There are lots more things to do - no wonder we return year after year!

5. Re: Do You Live In the Area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 15:21