We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hennessy Cognac Tour

Which Cognac hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Antarctica
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,252 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Hennessy Cognac Tour

Has anyone done this tour:

http://www.cognacwinetours.com/hennessy.htm

I spoke to someone today (a real person!!) who said it was fabulous.

We are planning to stop off in Cognac for a couple of hours or so on the way from the Loire Valley area to the Landes area and I was wondering if I could fit this in?

Would our children be welcome on the tour and could I decide not to taste (as I will drive and let hubby enjoy the brandy).

Any observations or contributions would be very much welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

La Rochelle
Destination Expert
for La Rochelle
Level Contributor
744 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hennessy Cognac Tour

Its very enjoyable and informative. Did the tour about three years ago, you get a guided visit covering history and processes, you can opt for a french or english language tour, and it includes a trip across the river to the chai for tastings. Even if youre not drinking watch out for the "part des anges" during the chai visit, its best to have a coffee afterwards, before you set off on the road again!

La Rochelle
Destination Expert
for La Rochelle
Level Contributor
744 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hennessy Cognac Tour

oops forgot to say, children are very welcomed, my kids where sullen teenagers at the time and even they enjoyed it. There are barrels of cognac labelled with the year, you could get them to find their birthday barrel!

Antarctica
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,252 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hennessy Cognac Tour

Filou,

Merci bien.

Thank you so much for your help. Thats brilliant. Really appreciated.

I had hoped to stay in the Cognac area this year for a week or so, but hub decided to "get involved" and told me that he had worked it out that we could stay near Cognac - near Biarritz... yes!!

This I think was a reaction to the fact that I wouldn't let himself and our elder daughter fly down to San Sebastian to watch a rugby match between Biarritz and our local team Munster.

So, the compromise now is that I get a little time in Cognac on the way down.

You have really helped me work things out.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
20,826 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hennessy Cognac Tour

I have done this tour and found it very informative if not one of the best of its kind.

La Rochelle
Destination Expert
for La Rochelle
Level Contributor
744 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hennessy Cognac Tour

mmm choosing Cognac over San Sebastian! I think you should go watch the rugby as the atmosphere is very family friendly ( we go now and again and our local team Stade Rochelais has just made it to the TOP 14!) , and then have a night out in the pinxos (tapas) bars of san sebastian. San Sebastian is one of my favorite destinations. Enjoy your visit whatever you do!

Antarctica
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,252 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hennessy Cognac Tour

Sarastro, thank you as well.

Filou, the match was on a few weeks ago and sadly Munster were beaten (it was the European Rugby cup, which Toulouse ultimately won).

Can either of you remember how long the tour took?

La Rochelle
Destination Expert
for La Rochelle
Level Contributor
744 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hennessy Cognac Tour

I cant really remember something between 1 hour and 1hour 30?..anyway good luck for next years rugby!

Antarctica
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,252 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hennessy Cognac Tour

Merci bien encore Filou.

And good luck to your rugby team as well. If they ever come over to Thomond Park, let me know and I'll treat you to a coffee!!

La Rochelle
Destination Expert
for La Rochelle
Level Contributor
744 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hennessy Cognac Tour

Lovely thanks! same here if you come to La Rochelle!

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,507 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hennessy Cognac Tour

Im actually going on this bean.

Considering your going on the same ferry as me and travelling through the UK in the exact same direction Im not going to tell you when we are going but knowing Fate we will probably be on the same tour.

I went to this tour around 5 times back in the late 80's / early 90's. Also did the Martell tour but it was not as fun as the Cognac one.

Simply because the aroma in the warehouse across the river from the production facility is amazing. Also some barrels due to their age are leaking and you WERE(long time ago) given a small shot glass and if you saw one on the tour then work away. I was barely a teenager but my father went crazy for it.

As the good old days are gone I doubt this will still be happening but we can hope.

Get answers to your questions about Cognac