We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please advise on La Rochelle itinerary for September trip

Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Please advise on La Rochelle itinerary for September trip

we will be in La Rochelle for three days in September. I would appreciate any feed back on our plans. Specifically, are we giving enough time to La Rochelle? Is there anything that we must do that we are missing (we are pretty laid back when we travel, we don't like aquariums or zoos etc, we do enjoy walking, historical sites etc

La Rochelle itinerary:

Day 1 – Driving in from Limoges area – Leave 8:30

Stop at Cognac – tour Hennessey, possibly Remy Martin (driver hates cognac so we’re ok with driving)

Question – Is one stop sufficient? I want to buy some cognac; are there shops that sell all brands and kinds (XO, beyond XO, rare etc)

Stop at Saintes for Roman Ruins/ Lunch in the area – probably picnic

Arrive at La Rochelle –Les Brises hotel-hopefully by 3:00 – rest /walk into port area to look around and have dinner.

Day 2: Drive to Jonzac: caves/chateau (it’s not on many site maps but sounds interesting)

From Jonzac drive down to the Gironde (Talmont and Royan), back up coast to La Rochelle – relax at hotel, walk to town for late dinner

Day 3: Drive to Ile de Re- lunch there; return in the afternoon to La Rochelle harbor area. Dinner at Richard Countanceau

Question: are there taxis in town - we would probobly like one for this evening?

Thanks

jhgrady

London, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please advise on La Rochelle itinerary for September trip

There is a good taxi service service around La Rochelle, comprising both individual operators and companies. My family and I stayed for two weeks last year in a nearby campsite and didn't take the car, so we relied on them a lot. No complaints and prices are reasonable, especially by London standards.

For a short stay it may be best to stick to the companies: I would suggest Abeilles ("bee") on 05 4641 22 22 or 05 46 41 55 55.

My French is basic (and rusty) but their despatchers, especially Nicole, spoke reasonable English - not everyone does in these parts - and managed to work out where I was in the Vieux Port and where we were headed (Aytre).

We're going back next Tuesday; have a good trip.

Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please advise on La Rochelle itinerary for September trip

Thanks for the taxi info. We have a car but for our dinner at Countanceau we would rather do the taxi - especially for the trip back to the hotel. That way we can enjoy yhte experience without worrying about driving

jhgrady

Carlisle, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please advise on La Rochelle itinerary for September trip

Hi,

Just back from 5 days in La Rochelle and it does sound like you're packing a lot in! There's lots to see and do in the town (specifically around the Vieux Port) so I would set aside plenty of time for a leisurely exploration of the lovely backstreets.

Ile de Re is fab and I reccommend both la Flotte or the capital, St Martin, for lunch. However, it is a relatively slow drive around - lots of little roads - so take your time and enjoy it. It's very pretty.

For eating in La Rochelle itself, I would highly recommend Le Pti Barrio ( Vieux Port) which has a lovely modern, hispanic menu (the carpaccio is outstanding!). We also had lovely meals at La Boussoule (spice restaurant), Brasserie des Dames (best fish soup ever according to my seafood crazy husband) and Pattaya Thai for very authentic South-East Asian cuisine in immacualte surroundings.

Have fun!

South East England...
Level Contributor
446 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please advise on La Rochelle itinerary for September trip

I would agree with the Magoos---you are packing a lot into 3 days.We have just returned from 4 nights at La R and would have stayed longer.

Its a place to amble around and is interesting to just sit and watch the world plus there are lots of small shops and a good market.as well as various boat trips and a sandy beach nearby.

We also drove round the Ile de Re and liked the main town a lot even though it was packed with french tourists--traffic can be heavy getting across the bridge and we spent a whole day going round the Ile.September should be quieter though so you may not meet some of the traffic queues we encountered.

enjoy your trip !

5. Re: Please advise on La Rochelle itinerary for September trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 12:21