We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Storm Damage

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Topic
Storm Damage

Firstly, my sympathy for anyone who has suffered from the storm and flooding over the weekend.

I will be visiting La Rochelle n a couple of weeks, so would be grateful for information on the extent to which sight-seeing in the area will be affected. I assume that the clear-up work on the Ile de Re will take some time.

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Storm Damage

I doubt anyone will know for another week or so. They are expecting another high tide tonight.

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
484 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Storm Damage

It's not just sight-seeing stuff that is likely to be affected. All down through the Charente Maritime area, there are dozens of camp sites with hundreds of mobile homes/static caravans that, 1) people make a living from and 2) visitors will be looking forward to staying in soon.

These are not best suited to very high winds and I dread to think what will have happened on these camp sites and the work now involved to get ready for the summer season.

Any news would be very helpful.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
13,242 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Storm Damage

About 30 kilometres north of La Rochelle there are reports of a residential area next to Camping Les Flots Bleus near Aiguillon to La Faute, which was particularly badly hit. In this one residential estate 26 bodies have been removed and reports of a further 15 bodies located for recovery after the weekend. These are people who couldn't get out or break out onto their roofs in time, in the middle of the night.

It will be extremely difficult to get things cleared up and back to a sort of normality, and the area including the Ile de Re and other low lying areas, particularly land reclaimed from the sea, will probably be hit again by the expected high tides. It will be very difficult to get clear advice on how things stand for quite a while.

It might be worth getting in touch with your insurance company shortly, to see how you will stand if you feel you need to cancel. If it's a hotel you might be able to get news in a few days, if it's a campsite or similar holiday accomodation it will be much harder. It's not like Madeira, where tourist areas weren't as badly affected. Huge swathes have been and might be overcome with sea water again, much of it where tourists go.

There will be a great need for tourists and the money we spend when things start to get back to normal. For some life will never be the same again; our spending can help some of the others.

La Rochelle
Destination Expert
for La Rochelle
Level Contributor
748 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Storm Damage

La Rochelle itself suffered some damage but nothing that will spoil a holiday, and no-one was hurt in the town. Some of the coastal paths by LesMinimes have been badly damaged so coastal walks are limited, restaurants on Cour des Dames and Quai Duperre have had to be pumped out, most are open for business, although the cost to to town to put evething right will be enormous. The sailing school has lost some boats and there is damage to the St Jean carpark, and the stonework near to the beach. There are broken pontoons in the harbours, and some damaged boats. The other side of the station its not been so good, Aytre , Angoulin, and Chatellion plage were all under water with casualties. Further up the coast ,Charron, L'Aigillon, and Faut sur mere had the worst floods, these towns are on land reclaimed form the sea centuries ago, a bit like the netherlands, and the sea breached the dykes. Its very flat there, and its somewhere I'd never contemplate living

I live in La Rochelle and of course it is upsetting to see the mess, but we are all thankful to be safe, and everyone is working hard to get the town ready for the tourist season. If anyone thinks it is an unsafe area to visit, then please be assured the town is relatvely sheltered, being a harbour, and this was a rare occurance because it coincided with an very high tide. If anyone wants more info about specific areas in town then please feel free to get in touch.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,184 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Storm Damage

Sympathies to those of you in the region. We were in Poitou-Charentes and Vendee last July and loved the area. And were very sad to learn of the loss of life and the damage.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
13,242 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Storm Damage

Filou, thanks for your post with up to date news of La Rochelle. It's good to hear that despite suffering storm damage your beautiful town wasn't too badly hit. Good luck to you all in getting things back to normal, for what I hope will be a very good season.

La Rochelle
Destination Expert
for La Rochelle
Level Contributor
748 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Storm Damage

Thanks everyone for their messages.

La Rochelle
Destination Expert
for La Rochelle
Level Contributor
748 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Storm Damage

…francetelevisions.fr/video-info/…

link to local news bulletins

La Rochelle
Destination Expert
for La Rochelle
Level Contributor
748 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Storm Damage

The train line between La Rochelle - Rochefort will be closed for at least a month, there will be replacement buses.

uk
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Storm Damage

Hi, I'm really sorry to bother you but I have tried my hardest to get info on Le Sable. We have a holiday booked there and am wondering if there has been much damage? The holiday company are saying not but Im not sure if they are just saying this without either knowing the true details or so we won't cancel the holiday. I know it's a few miles away from La Rochelle but thought you might have a better and more truthful idea!

We went through the floods in Gloucestershire back in 2007 and some areas of residents are still struggling to get back to normal 2-3 years on. I completely empathise with you and my heart goes out to those who are suffering from human and property loss.

Any info you can give me will be very much appreciated.

JW