We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First holiday with baby (14 months) - help please!

Ireland
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Topic
First holiday with baby (14 months) - help please!

Hi,

My husband and I are planning our first holiday with our baby (14 months). We are considering La Rochelle as the destination of choice, We we live in Ireland.We are hoping that some wise people on this forum might be able to give us some much needed advise :)

Our requirements for the holiday are accommodation with 2 bedrooms, small kitchen, a nice garden/court yard area where our boy can roam safely in. He is not walking yet, but pushing everything in sight along, so we to not want to have him cooped up in a tiny space.

We want to based somewhere where we can easily go on bicycle rides and where there are restaurants near by. We would consider half board, self catering or even a hotel. Can anyone suggest accommodation that would suit us?

We are also considering Ile de Ré. Based on our criteria above which do you think would be better for us to base ourselves in; Ile de Ré or La Rochelle ?

Thanks in advance !

A.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,626 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First holiday with baby (14 months) - help please!

How do you want to travel??

Fly?

Car & Ferry??

Ireland
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First holiday with baby (14 months) - help please!

We will be flying.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,626 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First holiday with baby (14 months) - help please!

La Rochelle itself is a very lovely place, with many good restaurants, so "half" fits youe remit.

I have only passed through, though, having lunch on the seafront in the harbour, have not stayed for longer, alas.

Know, however, that it is easy to fly there, so for "easy" then look for somewhere there.

To get anywhere else "sensible" for such a young family, would you be prepared to rent a car on your arrival?

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First holiday with baby (14 months) - help please!

I would choose Ile de Ré, because the big attraction of La Rochelle is the huge harborside area where all the cafés and restaurants are, and I sure wouldn't want to have to deal with that with an active 14-month-old. In high season it's crowded as can be and there's no barrier to falling right over the quai-side into the water. There are all kinds of lovely interior areas of La Rochelle, of course, and it's really apples and oranges deciding whether to spend time in a city on the water and a small, poncey island, but at least you can be sure that lle de Ré is pretty laid back, without any obvious hazards. I'd actually look into renting a small cottage there.

You'll need a car, though, to appreciate the area and get around.

Ireland
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First holiday with baby (14 months) - help please!

Thanks for your comments, yes, we would be prepared to rent a car when we get there.

A.

harrogate
Level Contributor
89 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First holiday with baby (14 months) - help please!

Ann

Where abouts did you end up staying as I am looking myself for this August with a 15month old baby and want similar accommodation?

Thanks

Simon

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First holiday with baby (14 months) - help please!

I'd be interested too similar situation

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,861 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First holiday with baby (14 months) - help please!

The original question was posted some time ago. sjbrazil and jenmac80: I suggest you send a personal message to the OP in case they don't return to this thread.

Dromore, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First holiday with baby (14 months) - help please!

If you are hiring a car, you could travel down just past Royan to Arces sur Gironde. This is located 4kms from Talmont sur Gironde and close to Meschers. My bungalow would be very suitable for a young child, with closed in garden. The village is quiet with one restaurant but the location is less than 10mins from Meschers, 15mins to St George's de didonne and lots of beaches etc to explore in area. My bungalow is in a residential area. holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/…1336472

Debbie

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,861 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First holiday with baby (14 months) - help please!

Debbie: I don't think you should advertise your property on this site - Trip Advisor has a code of conduct and you may find your post is deleted. I suggest you send a personal message to the people who have asked the question, rather than advertise on an open forum such as this.