We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Poitiers - stay in the city or travel elsewhere?

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Poitiers - stay in the city or travel elsewhere?

Hi, looking at some cheap flights to Poitiers June Bank Holiday weekend. Am not familiar with that part of France. Is Poitiers somewhere to spend a nice weekend or would it be worth travelling to the coast somewhere, or to another town? And how easy is it to get around by public transport? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks!

hants UK
Level Contributor
125 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Poitiers - stay in the city or travel elsewhere?

Hi, we have made several trips to Poitiers. The city has some historic buildings, a lovely park and a river which all add up to being a good place for a few days in our eyes. It is typically French and has lots of cafes/bars and restaurants. It has a lovely relaxed feel to it and is small enough to walk everywhere and over 2 or 3 days you would be able to explore most of it. We stayed in the Hotel Central- a couple of it's rooms have little balconies overlooking the main square. No breakfast here but only a hop to get some. Close to this so still very handy is a regular Ibis, basic breakfast here. There are a couple of small but well-stocked supermarkets and various shops close by too. If you just want a few days in a French city that isn't touristy this might fit the bill. There is a good train service which connects to other places of note eg Tours, Limoges and La Rochelle which would all be worth a few days too. Have a good time! Vicky

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Poitiers - stay in the city or travel elsewhere?

I agree with the above about the attractions of Poitiers. Also if you are into theme parks, there is Futuroscope just outside the city. Google Poitiers Tourisme for more information.

Liverpool England
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Poitiers - stay in the city or travel elsewhere?

We are going here on our trip to Spain but are going to visit Futurescope, looks great and Parc du Foy is also an option, these are places we Brits know little of.

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Poitiers - stay in the city or travel elsewhere?

<<these are places we Brits know little of>>

When you say "we" JAS4805 did you mean you personally? You might not know about the two parcs you mention but other Brits certainly do. Were you asking for information for yourself? If so, you really should start a separate thread.

You are a little bit late in replying to the OP (who posted in April 2014) as they were going to be visiting in June.

Edited: 06 July 2014, 18:35
hants UK
Level Contributor
125 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Poitiers - stay in the city or travel elsewhere?

Hi, do you mean Puy du Fou? Not sure what you are asking?

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Poitiers - stay in the city or travel elsewhere?

Vicky42: I presumed JAS meant to say Parc du Fou and that the "y" was a typo. I agree that the post was not clear whether it was in response to the OP or a separate request

Liverpool England
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Poitiers - stay in the city or travel elsewhere?

Pam no need to be so snotty, if you asked most Brits about theme parks they would never have heard of these, you may be a Francophile; most Brits are not, me personally I love it and have travelled most of France but that does not mean most of my fellow countrymen have; just as most of the Countries of Europe, outside of the Spanish Costas, are unknown to most Brits and visitor statistics overwhelmingly confirm this.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,180 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Poitiers - stay in the city or travel elsewhere?

What is the transfer from the airport like and how much does it cost.

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Poitiers - stay in the city or travel elsewhere?

JAS4805: I wasn't being "snotty" just pointing out that you should never generalise.

Futuroscope has over 60,000 visitors each year from the UK alone and so I think quite a few Brits must know about it.

Your comment: << just as most of the Countries of Europe, outside of the Spanish Costas, are unknown to most Brits and visitor statistics overwhelmingly confirm this>> is another generalisation.

Visitor statistics relating to the Spanish Costas might be based on a number of things. While this region has always been popular (thanks to cheap flights and package tours), tourism dropped off considerably for a while and at one time Spain was not the most popular country in Europe. Admittedly, visitor numbers have picked up again but this is mainly due to the economic downturn in Spain that made even cheaper holidays possible.

When you consider the visitors to Austria, Italy, The Netherlands, Poland and Portugal, you do your countrymen a disservice by saying that most of the other countries of Europe outside of Spain are unknown.

Edited: 08 July 2014, 00:03
Liverpool England
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Poitiers - stay in the city or travel elsewhere?

I see , so when I make comment its a generalisation, even though supported statistically, yet you make generalisations and we are to take it as god given fact.

For your information Spain has never been toppled by any other destination for Brits, it remains first whilst France is 5th.

Visitors to Futurescope from their own statistics Total visitors 93% French only 7% Non French. Of that 7%; 42% are Spanish and 23% English. Futurescope is a well kept French secret, if you go into any English town centre the vast majority will never have heard of it and that's a fact, why that would do a disservice to my fellow countrymen I do not know.

Given that Futurescope had 1,825,000 visitors of which 63% are return visits, that must be less than 42,000 Brits a lot of whom are return visits which is 0.0597 0f the British population.

I rest my case.

This is in no way meant to reflect badly on the Brits or indeed the French, its a fact of life.

My comment the most Brits do not know about Futurescope is repeated in many guide books because its a fact.

I will leave other viewers of your original post to judge if it was snotty or not.

Edited: 08 July 2014, 08:22