We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel advice for Provence

australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Travel advice for Provence

HELP! My daughter and I hoped to have a few days in the Cinque Terre area of Italy and then head to Provence- however there are no affordable flights I can find from Milan or Florence to Provence...I've looked up the train travel time (!!!) and we're not up for that .. .Ferries Hmm can go via Corsica at great expense! What would you advise!!

Actually...maybe you can offer some suggestions about where we should base ourselves in Provencetoo We'd like to stay somewhere small and then do day walks to surrounding villages with lots to see...she's only 14 so we only want to walk 10-15km from where we stay and would like enough variety/activity for 4-5 days.,We'll be visiting Nice after that when we meat up with our school tour group so wanted to go somewhere different

Toronto
Level Contributor
30 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel advice for Provence

I have driven from Nice to Portofino and if I recall correctly it took about 3 hours, so I wouldn't recommend flying. Flying may also create problems depending on where you plan on landing. Marseilles is a fair distance from nice "provencal" towns.

For the Riviera I would suggest that you drive from CinqueTerre to Nice or perhaps Cannes might be better. There is an excellent train service linking the towns on the Riviera.

From Cannes you could walk to Vallauris, a pretty town with a Picasso museum. You would be close enough to Antibes to take a train or bus. Also you would be close to St. Paul de Vence and Nice and Monaco. I would recommend car, train or bus.

If Provence is your goal, Avignon is about 2 additional hours of driving. From Avignon you could get to many beautiful villages by car or bus, but probably not by walking. There are many beautiful towns lining the Luberon, but you should see Les Baux, Fontaine de Vaucluse and Rousillon.

Hope this helps.

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
417 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel advice for Provence

Just returned from a week (with my parents, wife and 14 year old son) in Cannes followed by a week in Avignon.

In my opinion, Avignon is the better base for 'sites' excursions.... Cannes is the better base for beach, City life etc.

However, both would make good bases for visiting 'sites' - especially if you have access to a car.

If you opt for one of these two locations, by all means send me a message and I can recommend some very good excursions if you wish.

best wishes

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel advice for Provence

well you have a train from Vernazza, Cinque Terre, leaving at 10.38am - change at Genoa station - arriving Nice at 17.04pm

THEN from Nice to Avignon, the TGV train dep 9.31am - arr 12.36pm

Stay in Avignon, rent a car to visit the surroundings or try to deal with a taxi driver (they are not so busy) for your daily excursions ...

4. Re: Travel advice for Provence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 21:20