We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camargue - Best Time of Day to Visit?

Franklin...
Level Contributor
86 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Camargue - Best Time of Day to Visit?

Hello -

I am hoping to take a day trip to the Camargue in October. I've been told that the morning is the best time to see the wild horses and bulls since they are more dormant in the sunny afternoons. How early in the morning should I plan? I am thinking that since it will be more mild in October, perhaps they may be out more throughout the day?

Ideally, I was hoping to stop by Les Baux before the Camargue, so wouldn't get to the area of Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer until 11:30 AM. However, if this is too late, then please advise, and I can do the Camargue early in the AM, then have lunch in one of the towns before heading to Les Baux in the afternoon.

The reason I wanted to do Les Baux first and then Camargue later in the morning / early afternoon was because I figured I'd be tired after hiking or riding in the Camargue, and would want to go straight back to our hotel to rest rather than more sightseeing.

Also - any additional general information on the Camargue would be helpful. Please advise if the horse rides are gentle (only been one other time on a horse and wasn't fond of much more than a light canter) and if I'll see any flamingos, bulls, or wild horses - if not, then I may skip the trail ride. If I can see these things by a hike, please advise of a good place to park our car to do such a hike.

Are the visits to the manades any fun or worthwhile?

Thanks!

Jennifer

Mentioned in this post
The Camargue
The Camargue
188 Reviews
Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur, France
Restaurant Les Baux
Restaurant Les Baux
270 Reviews
Cagnes-sur-Mer, France
Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer
Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
Derby, United...
Level Contributor
484 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camargue - Best Time of Day to Visit?

We visited the Camargue at Easter 07 and again in summer 07.

At Easter we stayed in La Grande Motte (edge of Camargue). As we drove around the area - enroute to other places - we saw the bulls and flamingos at all times on most days. We saw the 'wild' horses at various times on some days.

Our experience was pretty similar this summer - albeit with maybe slightly fewerareas with flamingos - but bigger groups of the birds (if that makes sense!)

We drove into St Marie at Easter. The road into the town has many horse riding places along the way. The rides seemed gentle (the area is flat).

As the area of the Camargue is so large, you are likely to see bulls and flamingoes in various locations (including next to the main roads)

We also drove from St Marie towards Le Grai du Roi - using a pleasant small ferry. We visited an excellent beach called Espiguette.

In summer we visited Les Baux - the place is interesting (quaint). It is also worth visiting the nearby (walking distance) caves to see the light show (continuous). The caves/light show are reasonably well signposted.

PM me if you want any more info about either area

Mentioned in this post
The Camargue
The Camargue
188 Reviews
Restaurant Les Baux
Restaurant Les Baux
270 Reviews
Cagnes-sur-Mer, France
La Grande-Motte
La Grande-Motte
Herault, France
Franklin...
Level Contributor
86 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Camargue - Best Time of Day to Visit?

Hello, chrisisclub -

This is very helpful information - thank you!

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
484 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camargue - Best Time of Day to Visit?

thanks - it was a pleasure

I would think that you will almost certainly be able to see the flamingos and wild bulls as part of the horse trekking - to add to the views of them that you will probably have had as you enter the Camargue are by car.

The only light down-side may be that the French salt workers went on strike earlier in the year - and didn't make some of the preparations to the areas where the flamingos breed. When we were there in the summer, the TV stations suggested that this action (or lack of action) may resukt in a reduction in the numbers of flamingos.

where will you be staying?

Mentioned in this post
The Camargue
The Camargue
188 Reviews
Franklin...
Level Contributor
86 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Camargue - Best Time of Day to Visit?

Hello, Chrisisclub -

We'll be staying at the Chateau Talaud earlier in the week, and then the Villa Gallici, which is where we'll be driving from to the Camargue.

I'm very much looking forward to our trip - less than a month away! Thanks for the info about the salt production and flamingos.

Mentioned in this post
Chateau Talaud
Chateau Talaud
181 Reviews
Loriol-du-Comtat, France
The Camargue
The Camargue
188 Reviews
Ireland
Level Contributor
916 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camargue - Best Time of Day to Visit?

Hi Jennifer,

I know the area very well, visiting several times a year. You wont have a problem seeing bulls, flamingoes etc at any time of the day. There were lots of flamingoes this Summer...strike or not!

Horse riding available is at your own ability. You pick the duration of the trail before you start. Out from St. Marie towards the Ornithological centre seems to have the most stables. You dont need to pre-book most of them.

The manades are the houses of the "guardians" of the bulls. You'll see them everywhere. Some put on a show for tourists of bull herding etc. There's a large one on the road from Aigues Mortes to St. Marie (Manade St. Louis).

Check with tourist office(St. Marie de la Mer or Aigues Mortes) if there is a Camarguise bullfight on when you are there. Its bloodless, where tags are snatched from the bulls horns. It's a very entertaining show.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Saint Louis
Hotel Saint Louis
466 Reviews
Marseille, France
Manade
Manade
28 Reviews
Castries, France
Aigues-Mortes
Aigues-Mortes
Gard, France
6. Re: Camargue - Best Time of Day to Visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 22:20