We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Head north of Avignon or west to Carcasonne?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
334 posts
144 reviews
Save Topic
Head north of Avignon or west to Carcasonne?

I am planning a 2-week visit to Provence mid-September. Likely fly/train into Nice from Paris (rather than Marseilles)and then rent a car and head over to Provence area after two days in Nice. After reading some of the forums I have a few questions:

1) I would likely use St-Remy as my "home base" for at least 3-4 nights. How long is the drive from Nice?

2) I also read a lot of nice reviews re: Luberon region (e.g. Rousillon?) but is St-Remy too close to Rousillon for me to bother changing accommodations? I plan to visit Les Baux, Arles, Avignon, Aix....

3) Will want to visit some vineyards (Chateauneuf du Pape, Gigondas). Which town are they closest to?

4) Sometime during the 2nd week I have a choice of going in two directions. Either head up to somewhere around Orange for a couple of nights or mid-way to Lyon (Valence area)? Any suggestions? That way I'd either fly or take train back to Paris from Lyon. I've spent a day in Lyon before touring the vineyards so would not plan to spend any time there again. OR...I am thinking that it may be more interesting to head West (not go higher than Orange) towards Carcassonne area for a few nights and return to Paris from Toulouse by train/plane instead? Would that area offer me a different perspective of southern France instead of heading north of Orange? If someone could point me in the best direction (north or west for my 2nd week)..that would be good head start! Thanks.

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Head north of Avignon or west to Carcasonne?

St Remy, Les Baux, Avignon all those places are ok for a stay, no need to change, you are in the middle of everything ...then forget Orange, really nothing there, i would suggest you to stay few days in Carcassonne or surroundings. If you like wineyards, take the time to visit the Minervois area, and on the other side, the Corbières area, also the site of Cathars castles, very nice area. Then reach Toulouse, also a nice town to visit, and take a flight back to Paris ...

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
334 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Head north of Avignon or west to Carcasonne?

Thanks! Those areas look interesting and would be on the way for our 2nd week. Would it be a long drive to get to that region from St Remy area? Have you heard of Chateau de Cavanac, near Carcassonne? That is where I was thinking of staying a few nights so we could visit the surrounding areas.

3. Re: Head north of Avignon or west to Carcasonne?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 19 November 2015, 17:52
Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Head north of Avignon or west to Carcasonne?

yes effectively on one of my prefered web site (www.cityvox.fr) i've red positive comments about the restaurant of the Chateau and the rooms don't look bad at all ...

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Head north of Avignon or west to Carcasonne?

sorry and about the distance, 2h30 most on highway ... and take the time to stop in Montpellier, the town is interesting for a visit...

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Head north of Avignon or west to Carcasonne?

and one more thing, you have a great and beautifull choice for the lodging on the following website :

www.avignon-et-provence.com

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
334 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Head north of Avignon or west to Carcasonne?

Thanks for all the insight and useful websites to check out.

8. Re: Head north of Avignon or west to Carcasonne?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 11:18