We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 days in Provence in April

Omer
Level Contributor
41 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
10 days in Provence in April

Hi. I am planning my spring vacation and thought to spend 10 days or so in Provence, rent a car and tour the area. Any tips on the program? Practical advise? Rayula

Liven Up Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Art and Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Segway Mobilboard Nice
Sightseeing Tours, Segway Tours, City Tours
Provence Connection - Day Tours
Multi-day Tours, Private Tours, Bike Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 days in Provence in April

Hello Rayush.

My husband and I did something similar, but we had 3 days there. We arrived in Marseilles and drove to Cassis where we were staying.

Some recommendations:

1. Keep change, the toll booths on the highway can add up, or if you have time, map out your route ahead of time, there are some small picturesque roads that do not have toll booths,

2. Not sure what you are interested in seeing, but these are things that we enjoyed:

Baux de Provence

Pont du Gard at Nimes

Les Calanques at Cassis

Amphitheathre and Maison Carre at Nimes

Aix-en Provence is a lovely town, however Cassis is my favorite because i love the water

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
454 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 days in Provence in April

Where are you flying into? You could do 5 nights in the countryside (Les Carmes B&B in L'Isle sur la Sorgue is a great choice from which to visit many other sites - Avignon, hilltop villages, etc.). Then you could do 5 nights in Nice, which is a wonderful city in itself, and a great base from which to visit all along the French Riviera. You will need a car in the country, but not necessarily in Nice. There is wonderful public transportation all along the Riviera which is both convenient and inexpensive, while providing stress-free fabulous views. Aix is great also, and is right between L'Isle and Nice, so you could stop off there for a night or two en route.

Omer
Level Contributor
41 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 days in Provence in April

Hi

I will probably be arriving from Marseilles. The French Riviera does not interest me at all . I am actually debating with myself whether to rent a car starting Marseilles and be most of the time on the move or find a place in the area of Avignon and take trips from there. What is your opinion ? Thanks, Rayush

Luberon Provence
Level Contributor
287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 days in Provence in April

I suggest the latter. Check our B&Bs in the Luberon on this site and you should be centrally based to see Provence.

Wilko

Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,640 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 days in Provence in April

I agree with Wilko1 that you are better off finding a suitable location and just settling down there rather than having to repack and relocate all the time.

The Luberon is an attractive area but I urge you to consider the Alpilles as a throughly viable alternative. You could stay in or near St. Remy or just on the other side of the gorgeous chain of craggy limestone peaks in or near the Vallee de Baux, Both are good locations for day trips to lovely and historically important sites including some of the best preserved Roman ruins in the world.

Luberon Provence
Level Contributor
287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 days in Provence in April

Hi

The reason I suggested western end of the Luberon is that it gives you access to all of western Provence, ie proximity to the highway and a central situation. St Remy, whilst charming and touristy, is too far to the west for easy access to other areas, check out a map of Provence for its situation.

enjoy Provence

Wilko

Omer
Level Contributor
41 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 days in Provence in April

Hey ! Guys! I feel like in a fight between two local-patriots!

Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,640 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 10 days in Provence in April

Hi Rayush

Trust me, it's not a battle. Yes we each love our areas, but they really aren't that far apart. I am up in the Luberon at least once a week and I admit, it is a gorgeous area. So you see, Wilko1 and Peter Mayle aren't the only ones who thhinks so.

If you check out the map I think you'll see that yes, the western end of the Luberon is closer to the A-7 (Autoroute du Soliel) but I think that you will also see that St. Remy isn't that far - Admitedly, from the Vallee de Baux where I stay, it takes about 40 minutes since I have to cross through les Alpilles,(a gorgeous 20 min drive to St. Remy) then about another 15 - 20 minutes to reach the A-7 from St. Remy via D-99, direction Cavaillon. The area is also well situated for visiting Nimes, Arles, the Camargue etc.

On the other hand, the Western Luberon location allows fo super quick access to the some of the best known wine villages such as Chateau-Neuf-du-Pape, Gigondas, etc. as well as areas to the North such as Carpentras, Orange, Vaison-la Romaine, and Nyons and almost due west right into Avignon.

Wherever you stay nothing is so far that you can't visit it as a day-trip.

Luberon Provence
Level Contributor
287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 10 days in Provence in April

Hi

Absolutely no battle and whilst I love the Alpilles, wal the dogs there as an alternative to the Luberon, you will find that you retrace virtually the same route on most days if you are based in St Remy area. Also western Luberon gives you easy access to the Med.ie Cassis and Bandol.

Regds wilko

PS bumped into Peter Mayle in our local bar in Cheval Blanc a week ago, charming man.

UK
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 10 days in Provence in April

I def don't think the Alpilles and Luberon are an either or situation if you have a car. I wouldn't miss Apt, Roussillon, Gordes, l'Isle sur la Sorgue (Sunday market), St Remy and Glanum, Arles, Aix and a trip to the coast, Hyeres/Porquerolles or Cassis or even both (separate days). If I may give you one bit of advice, it's choose which things you want to see and see them slowly, don't rush and try to do too much.