We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grocery store for stocking up a rental?

Texas
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Topic
Grocery store for stocking up a rental?

Hello,

We will be arriving on a Saturday (driving from Beaune) in June to our rental house in Eygalieres (Near St. Remy). We will be staying for 2 weeks.

I would like to know where the best place (grocery store) is to stock up on the basics (breakfast food, toiletries, etc...) We will have our 3 kids, 9, 7, and 4 with us, so we will need to find a convenient place to quickly buy some basics.

Thanks so much!

Jennifer

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,230 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grocery store for stocking up a rental?

My personal preference is Carrefour, found everywhere.

Alternatively; Auchan (you may remember this name from when they had stores in the Houston area), Giante, or any other "grand surface".

Texas
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Grocery store for stocking up a rental?

Thank you. We were concerned with finding the "basics" upon arrival. With three small kids we dont want to get stuck on Sunday when everything is closed and have nothing!

Thanks again,

J

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grocery store for stocking up a rental?

This link is a list to shops in St. Remy for food.

saintremy-de-provence.com/st-remy/anglais/co…

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
2,014 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grocery store for stocking up a rental?

Have you checked with the people you are renting from as sometimes they will supply a "starter" pack of the basics.

Most food shops (excluding the bakers) will be shut on a Sunday - though some of the smaller "supermarket" stores are open in the morning.

Texas
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Grocery store for stocking up a rental?

Thanks boucheboy! That is exactly what I was concerned with - everything being closed on Sunday. We will check with the homeowners and see if they suppy some basic stuff. We will need to make sure to stock up on Saturday so we aren't stuck on Sunday!!

J

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grocery store for stocking up a rental?

As long as you arrive in the afternoon, you will have no trouble at all getting to the Intermarche by St. Remy (or somewhere else if you choose). I haven't checked its website (they do have one), but most of the large supermarkets stay open until 8 or 8:30 pm.

We often provided guests with a stocked kitchen (depending upon the guests). Many things we provided ourselves, but we always offered the option of picking up specific items (list provided by guests) at no extra charge. Many folks did take us up on that offer, so it is worth checking with the owner.

7. Re: Grocery store for stocking up a rental?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 08 November 2015, 11:30
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,277 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grocery store for stocking up a rental?

We stop on the way to our rental house and pick up coffee, filters, and things to make at least a couple of meals -- we traditionally have a large jar of cassoulet for dinner on the Saturday, and I buy pasta and sauce for Sunday, just in case we can't find anything else (which also serves well on nights you're tired or get back to your house late)

Not only are some smaller shops open on Sunday morning (look for signs saying Dimanche Matin) -- but there are also sometimes open-air markets held on Sunday mornings. There will almost always be a depot de pain or a boulanger open for at least a few hours on Sunday.

Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grocery store for stocking up a rental?

If your rental is near St. Remy is it possibly in Eyguires rather than Eygalieres which is considerably further North and close to Buis les Baronnies?

If it is actually near St Remy it is probable that you will be comming off the Autoroute du Soliel at Cavaillon and heading over to St. Remy via D-99. If so, I suggest that you go to the outskirts of Cavaillon, just accross the river, and check out the supermarche there - I am pretty certain that it is a LeClerc but I may be wrong since I just go there on autopilot all month every September. The locaton will be convenient for you and the prices will be alot better than the prices in any shop in St. Remy itself. It is also one of the best places to re-fuel your car.

If you are actually in Eygalieres you may be routing yourself to the house either via Nyons or Vaison-la-Romaine - both places have supermarches (supermarkets) where you will be able to stock up not too far from the house.

Hope this is hepful

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grocery store for stocking up a rental?

Yes, there is a LeClerc on the outskirts of Cavaillon, just as you enter from the autoroute. There is also an Auchan. Both are very large supermarkets.