We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

restaurant costs

Vancouver
Level Contributor
98 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
restaurant costs

I am just starting to look at hotels, cars and costs for two weeks in Provence next June. I know this isn't a budget area but are there restaurants where we can have dinner for less than the price of a hotel room? Some of the three-course dinners seem as pricey as a room, something we are not used to in North America. Just what is a modest meal worth in the smaller towns and villages? The cars I know are more, in the 700-800 dollar range for two weeks, that's okay I guess but hopefully we can eat without splurging every night!

UK
Level Contributor
3,955 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: restaurant costs

Er, it varies but I would have thought you could eat adequately for about 20-30 euro a head (inc drinks) per night, or if you want to splash a bit more, go up to 40.

If you specify where you are going to be, we'll all pitch in and tell you our favourite restaurants.

UK
Level Contributor
2,855 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: restaurant costs

We've just returned from ten days in Provence and the best value meals we had were at lunch. The evening meals by comparison were poor value but some hotels and chambres d'hotes offer half board for around 25 euros (without wine). When you know where you are heading for in Provence I'd be happy to pass on any suggestions.

Our medium sized hire car with autoeurope was 40 euros a day with no excesses apart from theft.

Ireland
Level Contributor
916 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: restaurant costs

Yes I agree, 30 Euro will usually get you 4 courses on a set menu excluding wine. Mmmm... Can almost taste it. B

Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: restaurant costs

Most days we have our main meal at mid-day. Mostly 3 courses, with an occasional cheese course because we're en Provence.

Chic is right, when you are a bit further along in making your plans I am certain that Forum Members will be more that willing to share their favorite eateries with you.

AlpillesGal

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: restaurant costs

Whatever you do, wherever in Provence you go, do not eat in a hotel restaurant. Eat out. Infinite choice and value. We paid 70-80E per dinner for 2 comprising aperitifs, 2 courses and a litre of draught wine. In Aix-en-Provence.I know lunches are good value but no way could I take a full meal and drinks in the middle of the day.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
454 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: restaurant costs

Look around at the menus offered outside of most restaurants and compare. Any time you get off the main tourist street or square in a given town, you'll do better price-wise.

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: restaurant costs

Also look at where the locals eat - at a small family run restaurant in our area of provence we can get a three course meal with wine for Euro 30 in total (the place is full of french and we are always the only foreigners there!)

I agree with other posts. Meals in hotels are going to be pricey but don't rule them out.

We also eat out at lunchtime more than the evening and have a light snack in the evening bread, cheese, fruit etc washed down by the chilled local pink wine

8. Re: restaurant costs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 08:17