We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

who knows anything about Malaucence

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
178 posts
1 review
Save Topic
who knows anything about Malaucence

Hi we are a family travelling and staying in Malaucence for a month and we can't find any information on this small village that we are staying at for a month April 2006, anybody out there that can help us get started? thanks Tammy P"S our kids are 13 and 11 and we would also like the kids to take some french classes while were there to emmerse ourselves in the culture.

French Riviera Day Trip from Nice
125 reviews
from US$104.80*
Special Offer
Monaco and Eze Small-Group Day Trip...
631 reviews
from US$98.90*
US$109.90
French Riviera Small Group Day Trip...
402 reviews
from US$133.90*
Special Offer
Provence Countryside Small Group Day...
454 reviews
from US$98.90*
US$109.90
Hanover, Germany
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: who knows anything about Malaucence

Check the spelling of 'Malaucence'. Made a search with Microsoft AutoRoute and found Malaussène, 30 km north of Nice. Or maybe it's Malaucène, 40 km northeast of Avignon. A Google search with the right name should have some results.

Portland, OR
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: who knows anything about Malaucence

I have been through Malaucene near Avignon. If that is the village you are referring to, you should be able to find info in the Cadogan guide of the South of France. Malaucene is a great central spot to explore the Luberson and Valcluse regions. The town is small and not at all touristy. There are lots of hiking and biking trails nearby. Your children should love a trip to the top of Mt Ventoux - the mountain stage of the Tour de France. Les Dentelles de Montmirails and the Gorge du Nesque are stunning destinations. You may need to check with the tourist offices in Orange, Carpentras, or Avignon for French lessons. If you are staying in a gite, your hosts may also be able to recommend a teacher. Excellent markets in Orange and Carpentras. Enjoy your stay.

Netherlands
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: who knows anything about Malaucence

Try also viamichelin You can put in the post code of your destination and it will give you places in the area.

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: who knows anything about Malaucence

Lived there for a year before moving to Bedoin. What would you like to know exactly?

The language classes could probably be arranged. Do you want group or private?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
178 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: who knows anything about Malaucence

we would like to hear about everything about the area and what 2 families need to do to fit in with the locals and learn about the culture, what about the month of April what is happening at this time of year? Cycling, art and language classes, were open to anything, please email me your thoughts, thanks tammy

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: who knows anything about Malaucence

Tammy - Malaucene is a small village at the foot of Mt. Ventoux. It has about 3000 inhabitants. It is, in my opinion, inhabited by more elderly than young. This could, in part, be due to the fact that there is not much work in this area. Vaison la Romain is about 15 minutes drive from Malaucene, Bedoin (where I live) is about 15 minutes the other direction. Both Vaison and Bedoin will be where you will find the nearest "life." Cycling will be everywhere around you. You can cycle up Mt. Ventoux (wouldn't recommend that for the children), or part of the way up. You can Cycle to Crestet (very nearby on the route to Vaison) and stop at the top of Crestet at the fantastic little snack/ice-cream shop. It is at the top of the small (very) village of Crestet and has drop dead views. Vaison has a world famous Tuesday market that will be buzzing in April (due to Easter - although I haven't looked to see when Easter falls in 2006). Vaison also has some incredible Roman ruins - in excellent condition in the center of the village. There should also be Chorale and Theatre events planned around Easter.

Getting to know locals, well it helps to have a contact already in the area. If you don't have one, you might try to connect to one using the Malaucene Tourist Office. Those people working in the Tourist industry will be the most friendly (again based on my experience). Folks in restaurants, cafes, bars and hotels are normally helpful in trying to guide you. French lessons MAY be able to be found in Vaison. I can inquire in Malaucene. My best friend teaches English at local primary schools and she also has adult English classes in Vaison (large classes of about 25 adults). You could consider joining that class to exchange English and French with them. It could be great fun and MUCH less complicated than starting actual lessons. My friend, Leslie, can be great help too - in English and French. Other than that, Avignon will most likely be where you will find the most language schools. That would be a 40 minute drive for you from Malaucene, a bit far for daily lessons.

April is a lovely time of year. Normally the fruit trees will be in bloom throughout the region. Days are normally sunny and comfortable - there could be some rain, but Provence has been suffering from a serious drought for quite some time. Rain is all too rare (but certainly not impossible at this time of year).

What else would you like to know?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
178 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: who knows anything about Malaucence

That's awesome information.....where can I find information about the village itself and what it has to offer? What are the must sees for the kids (ages 11,11,13,13,9) that we can start researching in and around the area, how far should we venture in our month of exploring the area/countryside? I can't get a hold of the tourist office in Malaucence, do you know how I can do that? We would be more than happy for some portion of the trip to take a local with us to really show us the area as this would be invaluable information,is there where the kids can take some art classes? or cooking classes for the adults? I guess the lavendar isn't out at that time? Thanks for all your help, Tammy

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: who knows anything about Malaucence

try going to www.malaucene.chez.tiscali.fr/ You will find all the information possibly available for the village of Malaucene. As I mentioned, Malaucene is a relatively elderly village with, I'm sorry to say, very little to do. I have an 11 year old daughter and can speak from experience. We left Malaucene for most everything we wanted to do. I don't mean to be negative as there are many things to do in the nearby areas. If you don't speak French, I do not see how you can "integrate" into the local society. It is hard enough when you move here, set up bank accounts, visit doctors/pharmacies, enroll your kids in school, register your car, buy a car, etc., etc., etc. These things mesh you into the society - whether you plan for it to or not. That is how you become "part" of the community. You will spot the "tourist" spots and if you don't want to be part of them, it will be easy to avoid them. However, I must say that so many of the historic sites in this area are considered tourist spots. The locals visit them now and then too. It isn't a bad thing.

You are on vacation here. I am assuming (maybe a bad thing) that you are renting accommodations from someone local. They are your best starting point as they are HERE. They can connect you to whatever you are interested in - beyond the norm.

Taking French classes during the Easter break could be difficult as everything closes up during the two week school break - including classes of any kind. It would also be tough to start a class for only a month's time (especially around Easter). It might be workable, but it wouldn't be ordinary. As I mentioned, my friend who teachers English to French adults would be a good start to conversing with local residents. French people are rather private when it comes to their personal lives. They can be quite friendly in passing, but getting an invitation to their home is not something that comes lightly.

If you would like me to offer any touring services, I am happy to do so, but I am not sure I can offer you what you are looking for - as I am not sure exactly what that is. A taste of local life can involve so many different things - simply going to the places in which locals go can often go far in that area, but perhaps not as far as you are trying to go. My daughter can explain to your kids how it is to go to French schools and live in France. She is American born, but has spent most of her life here. Not sure if that would interest your kids, but it is an option.

Not sure if any of this helps..

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
178 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: who knows anything about Malaucence

Hi, thanks that is very helpful, we are going to use Malaucence as a point to venture out and see all the surrounding areas, we just want to see the culture, markets,historical points in and around the area, to get an awareness. Would love to get your contact information and have our kids maybe get together with your daughter, that's a fabulous idea, anything we can do to enhance our cultural experience as families travelling in the french countryside, thanks Tammy

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: who knows anything about Malaucence

Tambradley - lori.lane@cegetel.net

Send me an email when you have time. Oh the forum says that it won't include my email. So go to www.vrbo.com #34105 and contact us through there. or www.rentalsfrance.com #493 That is our vacation rental. It has our email there.