We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris, Normandy, Provence

California
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Paris, Normandy, Provence

My husband and I are leaving Sunday for France.

We will stay in Paris for two nights (we've been to Paris a couple of times before so this is not the focus of our trip).

We are spending 3 nights in Normandy including Mont St Michel.

After another night in Paris, we take the TGV to Avignon.

We already have our hotels booked in Provence:

2 nights in Vaison La Romaine, 3 nights in Lourmarin, 2 nights in Arles, 2 nights in Avignon.

We will be renting a car in Provence.

Any comments about our itinerary or suggestions as to where we should go on our day trips while in Provence?

UK
Level Contributor
2,871 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris, Normandy, Provence

In July we enjoyed three of the best meals of our Provence holiday close to the towns you're staying in:

http://www.table-comtat.fr/

www.moulindelourmarin.com/uk/navigation.htm

http://www.leprieure.com/

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
2,050 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris, Normandy, Provence

You have picked 4 good places to base yourself.

If you have a head for heights and it is a clear day drive to the top of Mont Ventoux from Vaison for the view and down the otherside stopping for lunch in Bedoin a very pretty little village (Napoleon gave Mont Ventoux to the village of Bedoin - I cannot remember why though).

Perhaps a small excursion into the Cotes du Rhone vineyards to sample the wines.

Lourmarin is a pretty village (and styles itself as the prettiest village in France). You have all the Luberon to explore; the hill villages, chateaux (Le Cost was the home to the infamous Marquis de Sade), Apt and Sault.

Lots of places to eat -The Moulin being the most expensive.

La Cascade on the way to Apt serves excellent local lamb.

When in Arles try to find time to drive in the Camargue - white horses, black bulls and flamingoes.

Try to plan your journey to Avignon from Arles to take in the Alpilles and St Remy.

In Avignon - the Palais de Papes.

I have not mentioned many sights like the Pont du Gard but I am sure others will have their own suggestions.

As always don't do too much, less is more in Provence and make time for people watching on a village market day!

Have a lovely trip!

UK
Level Contributor
3,956 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris, Normandy, Provence

Don't miss St Remy and Les Alpilles and Les BAux. The Wednesday market in St Remy is stupendous and there's a wonderful restaurant called l'Assiette de Marie. While you are in St Remy go to Glanum, the monastery of St Paul de Mausole just by it and you can visit a local olive oil mill the name of which escapes me but I'll PM you when I remember it! There are great foodie shops in the town: a cheese shop, an olive oil shop, a chocolate shop and next door to this a mediaeval biscuit shop. Yes, you read that right! I'm sure you won't miss Roussillon while you are in Lourmarin. There's a very good market in Apt on Saturdays I understand, I've never been to the market but I have eaten at an excellent restaurant there called l'Intramuros, lovely regional food. There's a great antiques market in l'Isle sur la Sorgue on Sundays, which you should be able to get to looking at where you'll be and if it has been raining don't miss Fontaine de Vaucluse as the river there's spectacular after rain.

California
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris, Normandy, Provence

Thanks for all the great advice.

5. Re: Paris, Normandy, Provence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 09:29