We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do I give up - 4 day itinerary in Provence

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
76 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
What do I give up - 4 day itinerary in Provence

Hi

I have read so many of your posts and want to thank you for all the information I have gained from them.

I will be traveling to Provence in Sept. 09 and have decided to base in Isle sur la Sorgue as it gives me access to the northern wineries as well as Avignon, Gordes, Rousillon, etc.

My itinerary is as follows:

Thurs. - Arrive Avignon via TGV from Paris. Pick up rental car and spend afternoon in Avignon seeing Popes du Palais, the bridge and wandering the town before driving to our B & B.

Friday - tour Gordes, Rousillon and possibly Bonnieux

Sat - Wineries near Chateaneuf du Pap and small towns in that area

Sun - Market at Isle de la Sorgue, leasurely lunch and then.....

Monday - depart via car to Nice.

Here are my questions:

I really want to see St Remy and Les Beaux - do i have time for them in the afternoon on Sunday or should i leave it for Monday and spend the morning/lunch there before driving the 3 hours to Nice? If so ... will anything be open on the Monday in St Remy? or Les Beaux?

Any suggestions for the afternoon after the market at la Sorgue?

I realize that so much is closed on Sundays and Mondays. I may be able to change my dates to arrive Weds./ depart Sunday - would that be a better option as i could go to the market at la Sorgue, have lunch then drive to Nice on Sunday afternoon???

Special note: This will be Labor day weekend - am I crazy to attempt this over a holiday weekend???

Thank you all so much!

Katie

Mentioned in this post
TGV
TGV
1,294 Reviews
Paris, France
L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue
L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue
Vaucluse, France
Avignon
Avignon
Vaucluse, France
Gordes
Gordes
Luberon, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Bonnieux
Bonnieux
Luberon, France
Pont du Roc
Points of Interest & Landmarks, Bridges
Le Pont du Chatelet
Points of Interest & Landmarks, Bridges
Pont du Preconil
Bridges, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
92,972 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What do I give up - 4 day itinerary in Provence

Labor Day in France is 1 May.

Throughout Provence, almost everything is open in Sunday and closed on Monday. Tourist traps are open every day.

Your itinerary looks "doable". L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue will make a good base: we stayed there for a week last year.

When visiting Gordes, continue on to Abbaye de Senanque, which is a loveky church in beautiful valley setting, then continue through Murs to Roussillon. If you get to Bonnieux, on the way home try to make a brief visit to Abbaye St Hilaire, which is on the road between Bonnieux and Menerbes. Now in private ownership, it has been well restored and has a calm and serene feel.

You will need a good road map. The Michelin maps at 1:200 000 (1 cm = 2 km) are excellent. If you can't find them in a local bookshop, try www.mapsworldwide.com

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue
L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue
Vaucluse, France
Gordes
Gordes
Luberon, France
Roussillon
Roussillon
Gordes, France
Bonnieux
Bonnieux
Luberon, France
Menerbes
Menerbes
Luberon, France
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,645 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What do I give up - 4 day itinerary in Provence

Hi Katiedblaze -

The good news is that you are arriving in Provence after the hoards and multitudes have returned home at the very end of August, so mamny of the places that you want to visit should be considerably less crowded. I am however, a bit concerned that you seem to be considering leaving your belongings in your car on your first day while you explore Avignon. If your B&B isn't too far from Avignon you might want to consider dropping off your bags at the B&B and then returning to Avignon for the remainder of the day. A possible alternative might be leaving your bags at the Avignon train station and picking them up after you have explored the city and after you have picked up your car.

With regard to visiting St. Remy and Les Baux following the Sunday Market in Isle-sur-la-Sorgue, I really don't think that you will have enough time that afternoon if you enjoy the normal slow-paced and relaxing French mid-day meal. You could do a drive-by, but I am virtually certain that all sites will be closed. So, visiting one, or perhaps both places on Monday, prior to your departure for Nice seems like a better idea. Of course how much you will be able to see will depend entirely on when you have to be in Nice on Monday.

In order to best advise you as to what you might do on Sunday afternoon it would be helpful if you could state the location of your B&B.

AlpillesGal

Mentioned in this post
Restaurant Les Baux
Restaurant Les Baux
270 Reviews
Cagnes-sur-Mer, France
Avignon
Avignon
Vaucluse, France
L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue
L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue
Vaucluse, France
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,645 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What do I give up - 4 day itinerary in Provence

OOPS!

Make that hordes, although they may have stashed alot of Provencal goodies in their luggage prior to going home

AG

Mentioned in this post
Le Provencal
Le Provencal
812 Reviews
Frejus, France
4. Re: What do I give up - 4 day itinerary in Provence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 29 October 2015, 14:00
5. Re: What do I give up - 4 day itinerary in Provence

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 29 October 2015, 14:00
Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
76 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What do I give up - 4 day itinerary in Provence

Hi all,

Thanks for the information.

AlpillesGal - i am concerned about our luggage in the car. If we drop them at the B &B - which is just outside of L'isle sur la Sorgue, we would still have time to go to Avignon in the pm. But when we leave on Monday, we will have the bags in the car when we go to St Remy and Les Baux. Is this going to be asking for trouble? Maybe we should leave our bags at the B & B and double back after touring- an option that is not appealing.

Diz - thanks for the website links. The Chateau of Baux is what i really want to see and it is open on Monday.

SydneyNick - thanks for the suggestions. Do you think that Apt is worth a drive by (from my map i think i can head south from Roussillon to Bonneaux)?

Also, since you spent time in L'isle sur la Sorgue i just wanted to check if you had any memorable meals near by?

Thanks again,

Katie

Mentioned in this post
Restaurant Les Baux
Restaurant Les Baux
270 Reviews
Cagnes-sur-Mer, France
L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue
L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue
Vaucluse, France
Avignon
Avignon
Vaucluse, France
Apt
Apt
Luberon, France
Roussillon
Roussillon
Gordes, France
Rumson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What do I give up - 4 day itinerary in Provence

When we were in Provence last year, leaving luggage in the car was avoided. Many of the rental cars are hatchbacks, so its easy pickings to see belongings and break in. I imagine, a rental with a trunk to lock luggage in might work.

Parking is also a major issue in Avignon, unless you pay for garage parking. I think it is possible to store luggage at the train station; perhaps you can visit Avignon and then return to the station and pick up your rental car then.

T

Mentioned in this post
Avignon
Avignon
Vaucluse, France
UK
Level Contributor
3,964 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What do I give up - 4 day itinerary in Provence

Would suggest you try to squeeze in a short visit to Apt on the Friday. I haven't been to Bonnieux, but a visit to Gordes doesn't take long. In Roussillon (wonderful place) you are only a few miles from Apt. It's quiet and untouristy and there's a very nice resto called l'Intramuros there.

Mentioned in this post
Apt
Apt
Luberon, France
Bonnieux
Bonnieux
Luberon, France
Gordes
Gordes
Luberon, France
Roussillon
Roussillon
Gordes, France
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,684 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What do I give up - 4 day itinerary in Provence

Our travel insurance only covers luggage NOT visible from outside the car. Insist on a car with a lockable trunk or if a hatch, with a cover for the luggage. All the ones we have had in Europe have had the cover. (In America it didn't and we ended up driving a two door black Mustang instead. Whee!!)

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
10. Re: What do I give up - 4 day itinerary in Provence

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 09:23